A Plea For Help

'Lonely old bird', did I really say that? Tiberius asked himself as he soared above the city. He was still upset with Norman not hanging out with him. The hawk had spent nearly two or three hours flying around to clear his head. Yet nothing happened. Maybe I should go hunting. That might help, the old hawk thought. He was feeling a little hungry at the moment. As he neared Central Park, however, a loud screech caught his attention. Looking down, he could see a lean German shepherd and a giant Great Dane mix cornering a small figure against a tree. Upon closer examination, Tiberius recognized a familiar crow.

"Somebody, help!" Angel shrieked again, fear mingling with her voice. The two dogs snickered as they neared closer, licking their maws. If I don't do anything, she'll be killed! Tiberius thought, amazed about how he was concerned for the crow's safety. Swooping down, he perched in the tree above their heads. "Hey, you two! Pick on someone your own size!" he called out. All three looked up at him. Laughing, the German shepherd taunted, "Want to take her place pal?!" The mutt beside her snarled. With a flick of her tail, the German shepherd signaled her companion to attack. Barking, the giant dog jumped at the tree.

However, Tiberius was already gone by the time the dog bit the branch. Screeching, he slashed out at her back before backing off, only to come back again. Yelping, the dog twisted and turned, snapping at the hawk. But she could not catch him. Snarling, the German shepherd joined in. No matter how hard they tried though, neither could get Tiberius. That is, until the old hawk made a grave mistake.

Facing the German shepherd head on, Tiberius didn't notice the Great Dane mix sneaking up behind until it was too late. The dog's fangs sank into his back. The next second, the German shepherd lunged forward and bit down, her teeth clamped on the hawk's chest and flank. They're going to tear me apart! the thought burst inside his head. Thinking quickly, Tiberius raked his talons along the left side of the German shepherd's face. "My eye!" she howled in agony, releasing her hold and running away. Dropping the hawk, the giant mutt followed behind.

Standing up, Tiberius watched the two canines flee. Panting, he didn't notice that Angel was beside him until the crow spoke in a quiet voice, "Thank you." However, the old hawk barely heard her as blood spilled out of his wounds. What is happening to me? he asked himself as his legs gave out underneath him. The last thing the hawk heard was Angel's voice crying out to him before his world faded into nothing...