The Savior's Gift

Moments later, Snowball had led Max, Gidget, Duke, and Sky to where the rest of the Unified Pets had formed a circle. In the center, Ozone was sitting beside a motionless mound of orange tabby fur, that could only be Lily. Nearby, Pepper leaned against Nitro and wept softly. Chloe was gazing down at her paws in sadness. An uneasy silence had joined the animals.

"Lily, we're all here," Ozone spoke quietly. Barely opening one green eye, Lily croaked, "I know..." Blood gushed forth from the angry hole in her stomach and formed a growing pool around her. "You're going to be alright-" Ozone began saying but Lily interrupted, "No I'm not. Ozone, I'm dying." At those words, several of the others broke down in tears.

Holding back his own tears that threaten to fall, Ozone's voice cracked as he asked quietly, "Why did you do that? Why'd you save me?" Lily opened her mouth, only to cough up blood. Her stomach fur had become a dark crimson color. When she finally caught a break from coughing, Lily answered Ozone's question, "Because... I love you."

Lip quivering, Ozone listened silently as Lily continued, "At first... I hated your guts. But after all... the... kindness you showed me... I realized I was wrong to... to judge you so... harshly. Also... I developed feelings for you. Every... time I shut my eyes... I can see your face. Your voice... it rings in my ears. My... heart pounds... whenever you're... near..." Slowly, Lily attempted to raise her head. But another cough forced her to stay down.

Whiskers trembling, Ozone gently lifted Lily's head and cradled it in his paws. A faint smile spread across Lily's face as she leaned forward and kissed him. Lowering her head once more, she wheezed, "I... love you... Ozone..." Blinking his eyes, Ozone whispered back, "I love you too Lily." However, no reply came back. Lily's green eyes stared blankly at Ozone's face. "She's gone..." Duke murmured, pulling Sky closer to him.

Taking deep breaths, Chloe stepped forward. "Here," she spoke quietly, closing Lily's eyes, "Now, it looks like she's asleep." No longer holding back his tears, Ozone sobbed his heart out. His tears ran down his face and onto Lily's. He hugged her gently. Voice cracking, he stated, "I want to bury her. She's getting a proper funeral." Hopping forward, Snowball replied, "And that's exactly what we're going to do."