A Solemn Funeral

Rubbing his forehead with his paw, Snowball gazed down upon the Flushed Pets that had gathered before him underneath the city. Taking a deep breath, the rabbit hopped forward and began his solemn speech, "Today, we mourn the loss of a fellow comrade and a valuable friend, Scrappy. I know he had done some serious damage and inadvertently killed a few animals. But, I've learned that we all make mistakes in life. We just have to forgive and forget them. And that is precisely what I did for Scrappy during his final moments!"

Near the front of the crowd, Max grasped Gidget's paw with his own as he and the others watched while Snowball continued, "If I could, I would've switched places with Scrappy. I would've been the one who was going to be buried today, this very day, instead of him. But of course, life doesn't work like that! Does it?!" Wiping his eyes, Snowball then asked, "You know what I see when I look around this room?"

Puzzled by the question, Max couldn't help but look around the room himself. He noticed how the others, pets and strays alike, were also glancing around at each other. Getting the crowd's attention once more, Snowball answered, "I see one large, caring family. Sure, we might not be the same species or share the same blood. But friendship is what formed this family. Friendship is the bond that holds families in place. We care for each other. We love each other. We care for each other. We risk our own lives for each other. And in the end, we die for each other. And that's just what Scrappy did before he died."

Pausing for a moment, Snowball added quietly, "And I am not about to let his death go in vain."