More Than Friends

Watching the party silently from a corner, Tiberius noticed that Angel had gone outside alone. Curious, the old hawk followed her. "What are you doing?" he asked softly, hopping up on the fire escape railing beside her. Shrugging her shoulders, Angel mumbled, "Enjoying some fresh air, I guess. Plus, it was getting a little warm inside." Understanding, Tiberius nodded his head.

Just then, his heart began pounding faster. Recalling what Gidget had said to him earlier, Tiberius glanced over at Angel. Summoning all of his courage, he quietly spoke, "Angel?" Looking over at him, the younger hawk met his eye. Don't be a coward, ask her! a voice shouted at him in his mind. Taking a deep breath, he murmured, "Uh... can I... can I ask you something?" Angel nodded her head, encouraging him to continue.

Scuffing his foot, Tiberius went on, "Before I ask, I... uh... I just want to say... that... okay, look. Last year, I'm pretty sure we could identify ourselves as strangers. Then near the beginning of this year, we became acquaintances. Throughout the year from there, we became friends and then best friends. But..." The old hawk suddenly became nervous once more. Meanwhile, Angel moved a little closer as he searched for the right words.

Clearing his throat, Tiberius looked right into Angel's golden eyes. Immediately, he could feel his worries drift away. Gaining confidence once again, the old hawk asked softly, "Angel, do you think we can be more than friends?" Smiling, Angel teased, "Are you asking me to be your girlfriend?" Without a moment's hesitation, Tiberius nodded his head. Leaning closer, Angel whispered, "I would be honored to have you as my boyfriend." Silently, the two hawks leaned towards each other and, closing their eyes, shared a kiss. When they were finished, they pulled apart and reopened their eyes to discover that they were being watched.

"Norman..." Tiberius groaned. Angel, meanwhile, giggled quietly as the young guinea pig waved at the two hawks. "You guys are so cute together," Norman mumbled, smiling sweetly. "How long were you there?" Tiberius asked quietly. Thinking for a moment, the guinea pig replied, "I witnessed the whole thing." Just then, he added, "I won't tell anyone else what I saw." Breathing a sigh of relief, Tiberius followed Norman back inside the apartment with Angel by his side...