Street Dog

Climbing up various objects, Buddy looked down into the trash can. First checking if the coast was clear, he jumped inside. Sniffing his way around, the dachshund dug into the garbage. Following his nose, he discovered some leftover chicken in a plastic bag. Grabbing the bag, he exited the can.

Four days had passed since Sonya begun teaching Buddy the way of the streets. The dachshund had to admit; he was a quick learner. Right off the bat, he learned how to forage for food, defend himself, and avoid capture from humans. He excelled at every test that Sonya through in his way. Even the grouchy Jet seemed impressed with the young dachshund.

Entering the alley he had spent the past week in, Buddy set down his prize and called out, "Come and get it!" A moment later, Jet and Sonya crept out from behind some trash bags. Sniffing at the chicken, Jet murmured, "Well done rookie." Buddy puffed out his chest proudly as the tailless cat sat down to eat. Taking a leg for herself, Sonya smiled warmly at the dachshund.

As Buddy took his share of the meal, he glanced over at Sonya from time to time. He noticed how the female pug would flick her ear at a passing gnat or chew thoughtfully on the bone. Just then, Sonya caught him staring at her. Quickly, Buddy turned his attention towards his food.