A Long Time Ago...

All eyes turned towards the elderly basset hound. "Pops, how could any of this be your fault?" Duke finally broke the awkward silence that had filled the room. Max added, "The only thing that Danger could possibly have against you is the fact that you banished him from your apartment." Murmurs of agreement went around the room. Slowly lifting his gaze, Pops mumbled, "This goes a long ways back. It all started-"

"Here we go again!" Chloe grumbled, receiving dirty looks from the others. Sighing, Pops went on, "As I was saying, this was a time before any of you were born, except for Eagle Eye." Confused, several of the animals glanced over at the old hawk, who merely pretended that he didn't hear anything. Rolling his eyes, Pops snapped, "Don't act like you didn't know, I saw you in that pet shop!"

Lowering his voice, Pops continued, "Anyways, I was only four years old when I fell in love with a beautiful basset hound named Bella. The only problem was that my best friend, a stray pit bull named Marty, had also fallen in love with her. We argued until he just gave up and walked away. I never saw him again... until four years later, I found him, dying and alone in a small alley. I stayed with him, even after he breathed his last." Choking back tears, he added wistfully, "When Ball of Fluff said something about him being Ranger's father, that's when I knew that this whole mess started because of me."

By the time Pops finished, his eyes brimmed with tears. Feeling bad for the old dog, Chloe leaned over and gently patted his back. The others stared at each other or the floor in silence.