Stars and Memories

As his owner's footsteps faded away, Tiberius let out a long sigh. Due to the hood on his head, he could only see darkness, which comforted him slightly. It's been nine years... the hawk reminded himself. Whimpering softly, he closed his eyes. However, a loud noise woke him up. Frightened, the old hawk was about to begin panicking when a small voice called out, "Hey Tiberius! You want to see something?" Recognizing the voice, Tiberius grumbled, "Angel, it's the middle of the night!" He heard the door swing open as the crow whispered, "It'll be quick, I promise!" With that, she tugged off his hood and dragged him outside.

Moments later, Tiberius found himself painfully following Angel towards Central Park. Of course, it's not just my physical wounds that hurt... the old hawk thought sadly. A single tear rolled down his cheek. Just then, he noticed Angel looking at him. Quickly, he avoided eye contact, hoping she didn't see anything. Luckily, she didn't say anything as the crow prepared for landing, Tiberius close behind. Alighting underneath the trees, she padded through a couple of bushes. "Come on!" she called over her shoulder. Huffing, the old hawk limped after her to find an incredible sight.

A small meadow stretched out before him underneath the stars above. Speechless, Tiberius noticed that Angel had laid down on her back to stare at the sky. Silently, he laid down so his head was beside her own. The two birds remained silent, watching the stars above them. "I don't understand, why did you bring me here?" Tiberius asked, breaking the silence. "This is my way of thanking you for saving me," Angel replied. The two entered another round of silence.

"You know," Angel piped up, "My parents told me that stars are the souls of those who passed away, watching over the living." Turning her head to look at Tiberius, she went on, "Who do you believe is watching us right now?" That's too close to home for my liking, the thought entered his mind. Huffing, Tiberius scrambled to his feet.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" Angel began speaking but Tiberius interrupted, "No, it's fine. I just... I need to return home." Sighing, Angel spoke softly, "Well, I hope to see you sometime soon." With that, the crow flew away. Watching her leave, Tiberius let out a sigh before heading back to the apartment building.