Sunset Nearing

"How much farther do we have to walk until Snowball finally realizes that we're dying back here?!" Chloe grumbled. With Sweetpea curled up on his head, Mel replied, "I'm honestly not sure how much longer my feet can take it..." As if on cue, his legs crumbled underneath him and, before he knew it, Mel was laying on the ground. A moment later, Pepe and Tattoo joined him.

"Guys, come on. We're almost there," Snowball urged, noticing that several animals had already collapsed long before Mel. Lifting his head weakly, Duke spoke gently but firmly, "Snowball, there's no way we're walking all the way home. Also, the sun is setting." Rolling her eyes, Chloe hissed harshly, "We just fought in a bloody war, buried our friend, and you expect us to walk home?!" Cringing at the tabby's words, Duke mumbled, "I was trying to say this as nicely as possible..."

"Well, trust me when I say this, I really wanna go home," Mel piped up, "But I'm not sure if my feet can handle it." Sweetpea suddenly gave out a few chirps, whistles, and tweets. Clearing his throat, Mel translated, "Plus, Buddy broke some of his ribs after Chloe landed on him." With that, Chloe punched Mel in the shoulder. From where he was being supported by Ozone and Angel, Tiberius pointed out, "And in case you people didn't notice, I have a broken leg!"

With Max by her side, Gidget approached Snowball. "Do you think there's a... uh... faster way home?" she asked quietly. Just then, a lightbulb went off in Snowball's brain. Patting Gidget's paw reassuringly, he dashed off. "Tattoo, Ripper! Let's go!" he called over his shoulder as he passed his comrades. "Did he just abandon us?" Mel questioned, receiving another punch from Chloe.

Watching Snowball disappear in the distance, Duke remarked quietly, "I've got a bad feeling about this..."