Accidental Discovery

"Mel, we were supposed to be at the entrance," Buddy murmured, limping. Ears flattening, Mel smiled nervously and replied, "I know that." Huffing, the dachshund pointed out, "And we are on the catwalk while everyone else is on the ground below us!" Together, the two friends peered over the edge. Again, the pug smiled nervously as he commented, "At least we have a great view." Mel lowered his gaze as his friend glared at him.

Gulping, Mel turned around to find a bunch of colorful boxes behind him. Quietly, he began looking through them. "Mel, what are you doing back there?" Buddy asked without turning around. "Nothing," Mel answered, examining what looked like a rocket. Backing up, he stepped on something. Placing the weird rocket back where he found it, he peered down and picked up a small box. Opening it, he pulled out a short stick.

"Are you kidding me?! Danger's still alive!" Buddy exclaimed. Startled, Mel struck the stick accidentally against the side of the box. Instantly, it caught on fire. Yelping, Mel tossed it inside the colorful box filled with weird rockets. "Mel, those are matches!" Buddy cried. Lurching forward, he snatched the matchbox and threw it aside. "That was close," the dachshund whispered, remembering the fire that nearly killed him not that long ago.

"Uh, Buddy?" Mel whimpered, pointing at the colorful box. Sighing, his friend turned around, only to jump back with fright. "Mel, run. NOW!" he screamed, limping away as fast as he could. Scared, Mel followed the dachshund. As he did so, he inadvertently knocked over the colorful box...