48. Stars On Earth

"All you have to do is walk straight in. We'll find you." Tyler said through the phone.

"I don't know if I can do that."

"What're you talking about? You've taken the stage in front of thousands of people. These are just a few hundred photographers."

"But- I feel nervous. As if something bad will happen."

"Oh, for God's sake, Audrey, nothing bad will happen." Vanessa said with a voice that was barely recognizable due to a blocked nose.

Audrey frowned at her and then walked into the adjacent room. "Can't we go together?"

"We'll be together inside."

She took a deep breath. "I can't help the situation anyhow, can I?"

"You can only brave through it."

"I'll call you again when I'm on the way."

"I'll call you before that. It'll be perfect, don't worry."

She gave a half convincing laugh, hung up and went back in the room as Vanessa sneezed loudly into a tissue.

"I can't believe you're ditching me over something like a cold." Audrey huffed.

"Do you think I like being all sick and alone here while you go take credit for the work both of us have done in the past six months?"

"Who'll mention the pressure that I'm taking for the both of us?"

"Hey, if it was up to me, I wouldn't have chosen this! I-"

"Audrey, let's go!" Jeff barged in and went straight up to her. He took a good look at her and nodded in approval. "Good, you're ready to go."

"Am I?" She nervously chuckled.

"Absolutely." Jeff said without a doubt in his mind and grabbed her wrist.

"Vanessa, if you need anything, call Alana. She's the only on our team who's hanging back."

"Obviously. Where would my assistant go if I'm here?" Vanessa grumbled.

"Hey, kiddo. We didn't ask you to be sick on the awards night." Jeff grinned.

"I'll be watching the broadcast." Vanessa said. "And it'll be like I didn't miss a thing."

"You tell yourself that." Jeff gave a parting smile and pulled Audrey along. "Let's go, it's time."

Vanessa watched as the door closed and she was surrounded with silence.

"Ah, what do I do?" She kicked her blankets aside and changed out of her clothes into her PJs. She wore her furry, rabbit slippers and walked out of the room.

....

On their way to the venue, Audrey talked with her mom to find some comfort. After that, she called Tyler, then Mason and even Liam.

Just as she was about to call Vanessa, white flashes from outside the car momentarily blinded her.

Soon, her car was surrounded by reporters who banged on the windows and white lights kept going off.