97. Layers

Paris

3:30AM, April 4th

A middle aged woman stepped out of her van along with the camera crew.

"Louis," she asked the only French in her team, "ask someone if we can get an open cafe or something nearby. The flight is delayed by an hour."

"We should stay here anyway." Another member suggested.

"Yeah, let's camp here for a while or other reporters might arrive before us."

The woman sighed. "Look. I had a really short notice about this. I'm not at all rested and the ride here didn't help either. I could use him coffee about now."

"Getting even a single good picture of Blue Hearts will get you more than one cup of coffee, Linda." Louis laughed and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

The crew walked towards the exit door along with their equipment and were shocked to see a huge crowd already present there.

People were sitting on the ground in groups with posters and banners of Blue Hearts, ready to welcome them in their city.

"It's Vanessa's birthday today." Louis pointed at the birthday signs.

"Good for her." Linda let out an exhausted sigh. "I better get good shots of her so I can pay my bills."

The security guarded the door and announced not to push as the flight was delayed and the girls still had time before they'd arrive.

Passengers of other flights were apologized to for the inconvenience in the early morning.

****

5:30AM

The crowd anticipated and tried to get a better view of the path that was made from the exit to two cars at the end.

People chanted the birthday song in unison as the sun showed itself briefly through the morning clouds.

Finally, the girls stepped out.

Surrounded by guards and their managers, they quickly made their way out of the airport.

Vanessa tried her to best to wave at everyone and blew them kisses.

Though she wanted to sign autographs, she knew it would result in a chaos.

Hours of waiting, for a minute of their appearance, ended.

After the girls were taken away, slowly the people went as well. Order was regained at the airport once again.

After fifteen minutes of driving, the girls reached their hotel. After checking in, they decided to sleep for a while.

"Would you be able to?" Audrey asked.

"No." Vanessa laughed. "But I can try. If I don't rest now, I don't know when I'll get time next."

"You're right."

They said their goodbyes and went in their own rooms.

Vanessa replied to a few important people, thanking them for wishing her and took a bath.

She closed her eyes, soaking in the silence and stillness. Slowly, she pushed herself down under the water.

Once she was submerged, all she heard was water and it calmed her. Her lungs emptied as she blew out bubbles and stayed in a little more.

Till the last second that her body allowed, she stayed inside. Away from her world, into another.

****