83. Love One, With Another

Vanessa's phone rang at the break of dawn, causing her to open her eyes and groan. She moved her hand around to find her phone on the table beside her bed.

"Why are you calling me?" She sleepily asked.

"I need your help."

"Audrey, it's too early-"

"Vanessa. Wake up and talk. I need you to do something."

She blinked a couple of times, looked at the clock and sat up. "What can I do for you at 4:45 AM?"

"Mom is in the living room. On phone with probably Jake or Paul. I need you to somehow take her inside so Liam can leave my room without her knowing."

"Liam is in your room?"

"Yes."

"What's he doing there? When did he get there-"

"I'll explain to you later. Right now, help."

"Ugh." Vanessa got off the bed. "Who asked you to bring him home after a simple dinner?"

"Oh, it wasn't a simple dinner."

"What do you mean?"

"Let me get him out first, please? I don't want him to meet mom like this."

"Like what?"

"She'll know I sneaked him in. She'll know what we must've done.. I just.. no. Not like this."

Vanessa sighed and went outside to her mom on the couch. She waved her hands to get her attention and motioned her to follow her into her room.

Kristen got up and walked right behind Vanessa, still on phone.

"You have thirty seconds." Vanessa said on her phone as she pulled Kristen inside and stood by the door to block the view.

Audrey peeped outside. It was dead silent. She tiptoed till the door - Liam right on heel - slowly opened it and kept an eye on Vanessa's door.

"We should talk about this-"

"At my f*cking doorstep?" Audrey whispered. "Go!"

Liam rolled his eyes and tiptoed away.

Audrey breathed in relief, smoothened her hair and went to Vanessa.

"Yeah, I'm sure I had kept it here, mom." Vanessa pointed at an empty chair.

"But I didn't take it-"

"What's going on?" Audrey asked as she entered.

"Vanessa lost a blue shirt." Kristen replied.

Vanessa looked back with a worried expression, perfectly in character.

"Uh, the blue one with a black tree shadow on it?" Audrey asked.

"Yeah."

"I have it. I borrowed it, remember?"

Vanessa acted to think about it and then showed recognition in her eyes. "Ah, yes! I forgot. Why haven't you given it back yet?"

"You didn't ask."

"I shouldn't have to. As a human being, you-"

"Girls." Kristen interrupted. "Let's not at five in the morning. Vanessa, you got your shirt, right? That's all that matters. Now I'm gonna call Jack again." She left the room mumbling. "Timezones make it real tough."

Vanessa looked at Audrey.

"He's gone." Audrey said. "Thanks."

"Don't be stupid next time."