73. Everyone Has Their Demons

Mason knocked on a door impatiently.

"Yes?" A female voice came from inside.

He opened the door and walked to the woman sitting behind her desk.

"My essay." He said curtly and slapped the papers on the desk.

"Oh, you're just three days late this time."

"I had to-"

"Leave with your father? I think you are more than capable of being on your own now."

"I do live alone, Mrs Ben." Mason replied. "I haven't met my father in two months. I was only saying that I had to rewrite it because my drafts folder got deleted."

"You hadn't saved it?" The professor adjusted her round eyeglasses

"I was using my girlfriend's laptop and she deleted it thinking it was not important."

"Can you afford having done that to you?"

"No. I'm sorry for being late."

"Look, Mason, you already enjoy a lot of leniency when it comes to the university rules. But if I accept your essay now, that will be unfair and partiality."

"But it's not that it was entirely my fault."

"It was not. It was no one's fault maybe. But people still have to pay the consequences." She said as she held his essay out to him.

"Come on, Mrs Ben, we're-"

"I've spoken, Mason." She said peremptorily.

He sighed and took it back. "Two all night vigils for nothing."

He stepped out of the room with his essay to find Tessa waiting for him.

She eyed the papers in his hands and gave him a sad smile.

He gave her a cold look and left.

****

"This is the one." A woman handed a thick book to Audrey. "Finish this within two days so we can start applying the techniques the author has mentioned."

Audrey read the title which was printed in bold, black letters on a white cover.

The Theory of Music

Alvin Adli

"Two days? That's not possible."

"It only has about a thousand pages."

"One thousand, three hundred and eighty two."

"Yes."

"I would've if that's the only thing I had to do-"

"Audrey, as your vocal coach, I should be giving be much more than that. Do you know how much practice you need? So many live performances are coming up and you still make basic mistakes."

"A theory book won't-"

"Vanessa seems perfect and it makes your mistakes easier to catch. Now either I'll tone her down or improve you. I'd like to go for the latter."

Audrey flipped through the pages silently.

"I take it as a yes. Unlike Vanessa, you don't have years. So to get to her level, you'll have to work much harder than this."

"Yes.."

****

Liam hastily chewed the pizza and kept his eyes on Vanessa.

She smiled at her phone and started typing.

Liam got up from his kitchen seat and walked into the living room. "Who are you talking to?"