43. When He Came In

"Is that how you really feel?"

"What?"

Caleb opened the door wider to walk inside the green room.

"What you said to Natalie on the plane. Is that true?"

Vanessa set the eyeliner in hand back down and looked at him in the mirror.

"How do you even know what Natalie and I talked about?"

"I cornered her and threatened it out of her."

She turned around in her ripped jeans and a bralette top; her hair neatly styled into a French braid. She leaned against the dressing table and titled her head.

"Simply asking is what you're supposed to do. We're weren't exchanging FBI's top secret information."

"It just comes out when it's Natalie." He walked in closer. "I thought we had talked this through, kiddo. Why didn't you tell me it's bothering you?"

"It's not bothering me. I'm just yet to sort things out."

"Same meaning."

"I'm fine, Caleb. Once I can go out easily again, things will be sorted out." She said and turned back around. Her mind went back to the morning the sisters went to media training for the first time after the news spread.

"To make the situation useful, it's best we let people believe that you and Caleb are dating." A young man spoke from the other side of the table, his elbows resting on top as he leaned forward.

Vanessa frowned and nodded a bit, encouraging him to speak more and explain.

"That way, to make things realistic, you have to be silent. Stay away from the media. Had you two really been dating, this is what anyone would've done. Plus point, that you get to have your space and you shouldn't be among them while the rumours are hot."

"Are you sure it wouldn't create problems in the future? It's a lie, after all." Vanessa said.

"Darling, there's lies all around."

"Yeah. Even though this blissful silence is nice, we're actually fueling the fire." Caleb sighed.

"We don't have to address this even when we go out openly, right?" Vanessa took a breath to come back to the present.

"Our spokesmen will speak for us. We don't have to face anyone."