Chapter 31: Encountering the Village Chief

(I feel I should mention I received a comment on my Village segment pitch giving me a really good idea for a RE7 segment. I've decided that I want to use it. It will basically involve Y/N forming a partnership with the Connections shortly after the events of RE6. I might give more info at a later time since I'm still working things out for that.) 

Y/N POV

Things were beginning to seem far more complicated. Not only had Luis been captured by the Los Illuminados, but it also seemed that Leon would also be constantly popping up which if he saw us, would ruin any element of surprise that we may have had before.

At any rate, we ended up having to go back completely the way we came, rendering that last little trip completely pointless. Ada went on ahead while I stayed a short distance behind in order to provide cover fire with my new rifle.

Eventually we arrived at the village once again and by this point, our diversion with the church bell had worn off and now the village was bustling with Ganados just as it had been when we first arrived here, what seemed like hours ago.

By this point it was pointless being stealthy, but I had an idea. I caught up to Ada and said "I have a plan." She gave me a sideways glance, saying "I'm all ears." I pointed to a stone tower a short distance away, explaining "If I go up there, I may be able to take a few of them out with this rifle."

Ada just nodded and said "Sounds good to me." Without another word, I made my way towards the tower, avoiding contact with the other villagers. Inside, I found an old wooden ladder which I climbed up onto a small wooden platform.

I then approached one of the windows and readied my rifle. I saw Ada still hiding faintly out of view as I prepared my distraction. I noticed one Ganado getting particularly close to the tower so looking down the scope, I instantly pulled the trigger.

The bullet shot outwards and impacted the Ganado's head causing it to explode into a mess. I quickly shifted to another and pulled the trigger again, firing another round which swiftly killed another Ganado in an instant.

I kept up my sharpshooting, wiping out the villagers that I deemed the biggest threats. Luckily for us, the others were confused and just looked around like complete idiots. Once they were all gone, I looked down at Ada and gave her a nod for her to continue.

She nodded back and also began making her way back the exact way we came before, again, rendering that entire last portion of our task completely irrelevant and pointless. Nevertheless, I climbed back down the ladder and followed shortly behind.

I eventually found myself back at that large cabin where I was before. I noticed the door already partially opened, I assumed Ada had come through here already, nevertheless, I went inside. Seeing the dissolved remains of two Ganados.

I made my way back inside the house with my handgun extended out in front of me, ready for any opposition that I may happen to encounter. I found nothing of interest downstairs aside from a lone Incendiary Grenade in one of the cupboards, why it was there, I don't know.

Image of an Incendiary Grenade:

Pocketing the Grenade, I slowly began going upstairs, as I approached a certain door however Ii suddenly heard a loud bang, followed by what sounded like two people fighting, I approached the door, placing my ear to it

Eventually, I heard two gunshots go off followed by loud thundering footsteps, a Hookshot being activated and someone smashing through a window. I looked out of the one near me and noticed a large figure leap out, he must have been responsible for the noises.

Nevertheless, I noted the Hookshot sound I heard and had a hunch that he was after Ada. In the end, I ended up recklessly jumping out of the window near me, hitting the ground with a roll before returning to my feet.

(Interesting fact, if Y/N had gone through the door rather than leap from the window, he would have encountered Leon. I went against this since I want their first encounter to be in the Castle which we still have two more chapters before we reach that part.)

I looked around, seeing no sign of the large man. Eventually though, my eyes landed on him, slowly walking down the path back towards the village. I sighed, angry that I would be backtracking again, however I followed him nonetheless, remaining hidden hoping he would lead me to Luis.

And I'm glad I did because my eyes widened when I saw Ada standing with her back to us, she was holding her handgun and faced with three aggressive Ganados. Before she could react though, she suddenly fell to the ground unconscious.

The large man stood over her and that was when my mind snapped for a moment, completely giving up on remaining hidden. I dashed forward and kneed the man in the back, causing him to fall onto his knees.

As he stood up, I got a good look at him. He was bald with a beard and a rugged black cloak. I believe, given how the other Ganados followed him, he was meant to be the Chief of this village or something along those lines.

Image of the Village Chief (Bitores Mendez):

(If they ever do a Resident Evil 4 Remake. They should totally make this guy a stalker enemy like the Tyrant or Nemesis.)

The Village Chief glared at me before surprisingly speaking up in a gravelly Spanish accent. "Another outsider? And yet you do not share the same blood as us. Perhaps you are not affiliated with that boy."

I raised my gun asking "Boy? What are you talking about?" I had a hunch he was referring to Leon, but what did he mean by 'not sharing the same blood'? I was left confused however that didn't stop me from gunning down the other lesser Ganados present, leaving me with just the chief.

In what seemed like rage, the chief ran towards me and tried to grab me round the throat. However I evaded it and quickly shot at him, loading two bullets directly into his chest. Any other man or even a lesser Ganado would have died but this guy didn't seem phased in the slightest.

I muttered "Shit." Before quickly holstering my gun, not wanting to waist any more handgun rounds on him. I then dashed forward and elbowed him in the face, causing him to stagger. I then palm-thrusted him in the chest, causing him to fall over.

He tried to get up however I pulled out the Incendiary Grenade from earlier and threw it right at him. As it exploded, the chief was engulfed in flames, causing him to drop to his knees. 

In his brief moment of vulnerability, I quickly scooped Ada up into my arms and quickly got out of there. Things seemed to be getting stranger here every day. I don't know how this chief became so durable. What other power did Las Plagas possess?

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I will admit, this one was fun, maybe because it included the Big Cheese himself, I hope you liked it as well and as always, thank you for reading.