Chapter 83: Arrival at the Mine, Following Alex's Trail

Y/N POV

I don't know why I agreed to team-up with Barry. Perhaps it was out of guilt for how I had treated him in the past, maybe it's because I knew he was still friends with Chris and Jill so I did it out of respect, or perhaps it was just because we both wanted Alex dead.

It still didn't completely sit right to try and kill Alex. But with the situation being as it was, it was my only choice. After all, she had dragged me to this island, slapped a bracelet on my wrist and infected me with some virus. Not to mention she was apparently trying to kill me if Barry was to be believed.

Nevertheless, I continued to accompany Barry and Natalia across the island, travelling further and further from the industrial sector that I had considered home all this time. We travelled back through the forest area until eventually we reached something interesting.

We came across a mine inside of a large crater, as we approached the edge, Barry turned to me and said "We found this place not too long ago. I'm certain this is where Alex is hiding out. Though we thought we'd come and find you first."

I nodded and said "I'm glad you did, this place looks like it could be tricky." Barry turned to Natalia and warned "You know, you don't have to come with me for this." Natalia just gave us a determined look and replied "I'm staying with you both. I want to know the truth as much as you two do." I just grinned and said "You've got guts kid."

We all crouched behind a small series of rocks and peered into the mine itself. From here we could already see a few Revenants walking around and I could only assume there were more of them elsewhere.

I muttered "Damn, seems this place is crawling with those things." I then turned to Barry, pointed to the sniper rifle on his backpack and said "Fine, give me your rifle." Barry looked at me confused and asked "What why?" I responded calmly "We'll save time and ammo if I stay here and pick them off from afar."

Barry just narrowed his eyes at me and asked "Well how can I trust you? How do I know you won't put a bullet in my head for old time's sake?" I just stared at him, thinking up a reason however I came up with nothing, he was right after all.

Eventually though, Barry rolled his eyes before saying "Fine..." He then picked up the sniper rifle attached to his backpack and handed it to me. I clutched the weapon close before saying to both of them "Good luck you two, I'll cover you from up here."

With that, Barry nodded and the two left, heading down into the mine. I looked down at the rifle in my hand with a grin. The rifle in question was an SVD sniper rifle, it would be very useful in the situation right now.

Image of the SVD Rifle:

I remained hidden by the rocks and looked through the rifle's scope at the mine below

I remained hidden by the rocks and looked through the rifle's scope at the mine below. Soon enough Barry and Natalia came into view and just as I expected, the Revenants emerged and a battle began.

I fired my first shot directly into one of the Revenant's head. Naturally it seemed that wasn't where the hidden tumour was located  so I moved to aim for one of the legs. I soon found the tumour and destroyed it killing the creature.

Soon I moved on to the next one and took that out with the same level of difficulty. Barry helped out, taking them out from the ground using his handgun, assault rifle and magnum. Even Natalia helped by throwing bricks at the creatures. 

As they continued to navigate the mine's exterior, they encountered even more of those Revenants however they were swiftly dealt with either by Barry or myself. They also had a solve a brief puzzle involving getting a powered box over to a generator to get the lift out of the mine working.

While they went about solving that, I remained hidden on that cliff face sharpshooting anyone who got in the way. Eventually they got the box over to the generator and now they were finally at the entrance to the mine itself.

Before they could enter though, they were ambushed, at first it was just more Revenants so they were dealt with quickly. However this time, a new creature emerged. It was clear just from the appearance that this was yet another product of Uroboros.

Image of a Durga:

In addition to this, it was much stronger than the creatures I had encountered up to this point

In addition to this, it was much stronger than the creatures I had encountered up to this point. For instance, it had a series of tentacles surrounding the central core and it was hard to get a clean shot. 

Barry was able to distract the creature using his own Python magnum and actually managed to blast a few of the tentacles off. This gave me the perfect opportunity to shoot, I aimed for the core and opened fire.

The B.O.W staggered back as I hit the core head-on causing orange blood to spew out. We kept this pattern up, Barry would blast the tentacles while I would aim for the core itself from a distance.

And keeping this up eventually, we were able to overpower the unique B.O.W causing it to collapse dead on the ground. I angled the scope towards Barry and saw him look back up towards me, he smiled and made a thumbs-up gesture.

I grinned and returned it though he probably couldn't see it from that distance away. He then retreated into the mine itself, Natalia close behind. I lowered the sniper before deciding to get moving myself.

I was unaware though that a hunched-over figure was hiding in the shadows behind me...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, we actually should only have a few more chapters before we reach the end of the segment and I will take a break for a bit. I really hope you liked this chapter and as always, thank you for reading.