Chapter 71: An Encounter with a Mysterious Child

Y/N POV

After I escaped the now-mutated Pedro and the accompanied Afflicted, there was no reason for me to remain near the Wossek. It was now time to proceed to the top of that 'Monument' tower where I knew Alex was waiting as well as the answers I was after as to why I was even here in the first place.

Straight away, the Monument was in sight, it was a gigantic tower in the centre of the island, it dwarfed everything that surrounded it so it was clear where to head and I instantly proceeded in that direction.

On the way there though, I took a quick look at my bracelet, more specifically at the light which was still a bright green, I thought back to what Alex had said regarding the colour scheme, according to her Pedro's bracelet turned 'the colour of fear'. Now things started to make slightly more sense.

I was finally beginning to piece this whole experiment together. It seems that the bracelets somehow analysed the wearer's fear, how it did this I don't know.  I thought back to the different colours I had seen during my time here.

First off, green must mean the wearer is completely calm. After all, I had remained calm and people like Claire, Neil and Gabe also had green lights and they all seemed calm with a level-head.

Secondly there was the amber colour which I had noted being seen with that Gina woman as well as Pedro when I first encountered him, I believe Moira also had that same colour. I assumed that mean the wearer was anxious, perhaps uneasy but not completely scared out of their mind.

Finally there was the red light, the 'colour of fear' as Alex put it. The only time I had seen this was on Pedro right before he was transformed into that mutated state. I believed that was for those who had fully succumbed to their fear and awoken the virus within them.

As I continued to ponder this train of thought, I eventually arrived at what I believed to be the industrial sector for the entire island. The Monument was closer now and towered over the other buildings. Though as I got closer, I heard sounds surrounding me.

I drew my handgun just in case as what sounded like dog's footsteps racing towards me. Spinning around I instantly pulled the trigger and sure enough, the bullet planted into a dog-like B.O.W's head.

The creature fell onto its side, dead, and I slowly approached, analysing the corpse before it disintegrated. It was just like the Cerberus' in Raccoon City only the features were more reminiscent of the Afflicted that I had already encountered on the island thus far.

Image of an Orthrus:

My gunshot attracted more of them however and soon after I found myself being charged by about four or five of these creatures and I wasted no time in readying my handgun yet again to gun them all down, aiming for the head each time and putting th...

My gunshot attracted more of them however and soon after I found myself being charged by about four or five of these creatures and I wasted no time in readying my handgun yet again to gun them all down, aiming for the head each time and putting them out of my misery rather quickly.

Before I could put my Samurai Edge handgun away though, I heard a noise behind me, I spun around aiming my gun in that direction. I didn't shoot though and I'm glad I didn't because I was surprised to see a young girl hiding behind a box.

I lowered my gun and called to her saying "Hey! You there!" She didn't wait though and instantly took off running. I pursued her down a narrow alley as she retreated into a door at the end of it. I followed and called "Stop child!"

I will admit, the reason I was following her was out of pure curiosity and concern. Why was a little girl roaming a hostile island like this? Was she also a part of Alex's experiment, if so then she was even more twisted than I believed.

Continuing to chase the child, she abruptly tripped and turned around to look at me. I raised my hands up in defence saying "Whoa, whoa, easy there kid. I'm not going to hurt you. Just calm down please and stop running."

Oddly enough, the girl's eyes didn't hold any fear, in fact her eyes were quite scary as they just held a blank expression, looking down I saw that her bracelet was completely red however she hadn't mutated at all. I tried reassuring her by getting to my knees in front of her and holding up my bracelet so she could see it.

"See? I have one as well. I'm not going to hurt you." The child just slowly nodded, clutching a teddy to her chest, it was clear she was still afraid however I asked "What's your name little one?" 

It took a while but to my surprise, the girl actually answered as I weakly heard her say. "N-Natalia." I smiled at her and said "That's a lovely name, my name is Y/N." I then pointed to the teddy and asked "And who's your little friend here?"

Image of Natalia Korda:

Natalia replied to this by saying "This is Lottie

Natalia replied to this by saying "This is Lottie." I nodded before holding a hand out to her saying "It's dangerous around here. Come, I may know some people who you'd be safe with." The girl continued to just stare at me though.

I obviously couldn't take the kid with me, I didn't want to take her all the way up the tower to meet Alex, it wasn't safe. However I believed if I found Claire again, this Natalia would be safe with her. Despite my own distaste towards the Redfield family, I trusted her to keep this child safe more than I could.

Natalia continued to stare at my hand before finally reaching out and taking it. I helped her up and we both made our way back out of the building to where I was before. I had a feeling that Claire would want answers as well, so I bet she would find her way to the tower and I could intercept her there.

As we continued to navigate the industrial sector, we eventually came down an alley and I heard the familiar voices of Claire and Moira coming from up ahead. I approached slowly before peering around the corner.

I saw Claire and Moira walking down the street with their backs to the alley, Neil wasn't with them which was beginning to draw even more suspicion. Though I had more matters to deal with now than just him.

I began saying "Okay Natalia, there are some people just around the corner. You should be-" I turned around to face her and was surprised to see that the little Natalia was now nowhere in sight. I headed back through the alley searching for the child however it was as if she had vanished into thin air.

Eventually I gave up, muttering "I don't have time for this." Before resuming my initial objective. I tried pushing my encounter with the strange child out of my mind yet there was also something about her that made me uneasy.

This whole ordeal was proving to be a strange series of events. First I wake up in some deserted prison where I meet a woman who I assume is dead now, then I get contacted by Alex Wesker who I had also thought dead for the last decade! Then I meet Neil, a man who just irradiated untrustworthy vibes, next was Claire, another face from my past who I never expected to meet again and finally there is this child who seemed extremely quiet and then just vanishes on me out of the blue!

Little did I know, things were just getting started and this wasn't the last I would see of young Natalia...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I'm sorry if it was a bit bad, again, I had difficulties getting the ideas down. I do still hope you liked it though and as always, thank you for reading.