Chapter 70: Succumbing to Fear, the Virus is Released

Y/N POV

While I was analysing the bracelets, I discovered that each one seemed to have a different number on it. For instance, this spare one seemed to have a number 8 on it while mine seemed to have a number 5. Though so far the meaning behind these numbers was unknown, perhaps it was just for Alex to keep track of her experiment.

Suddenly, I was interrupted from my research by the sound of a loud siren blaring overhead, I looked around, trying to find a source before muttering "Oh god damnit, what's Claire up to now?!"

As if on cue, the door to the bar burst open as Claire and Moira both entered. Pedro came in shortly after them before closing the door and placing a plank of wood across it to block any more entrance. 

I got up from my seat and approached the trio asking "What the Hell is going on?! What did you do?! Where's Gabe?" Claire just pointed to a power box at the top of the stairs before saying "It's that Overseer she set off an alarm from there. Gabe stayed behind, trying to get the helicopter fixed."

She wasted no time rushing up the stairs, opening the power box and flipping the lever, causing the siren to stop. However by this point it was already too late, a horde of Afflicted had arrived and were now banging on the window.

Pedro instantly began panicking exclaiming "Balls! We're surrounded! There's no where to run, it's all over!" I pulled out my Samurai Edge as Claire readied her own handgun saying "Calm down Pedro." We nodded to one another before firing on the Afflicted.

As we opened fire, the Afflicted began trying to climb through the windows only to be met with handgun bullets to the face. It was at this point that I heard Pedro abruptly ask "What's wrong with my bracelet? Why did it change colour?"

I walked over to him and said "Let me see it." He raised his arm and I looked to see that the previously amber light had become a bright red. Whatever was going on, I knew was no accident and I wasn't looking forward to the result.

Even with this revelation, Pedro raised his shotgun and tried shooting at the Afflicted yelling in an even more panicked tone "AAH! They're coming through the windows!" Claire sternly instructed "Then fight back and stop them!"

Pedro didn't stop panicking though as he yelled "We're all gonna die! I don't know what to do!" To this Moira stated "Step one: Fucking chill out!" Though this did nothing because as me and Claire tried to hold off the seemingly endless sea of Afflicted, Pedro yelled again "Why is this happening to me?! This isn't fair!"

I yelled "Get a hold of yourself Pedro and pull your weight, if you help, we're more likely to get out of this!" He did just that and soon the Afflicted suddenly stopped. Pedro approached the door to the bar asking "That's it right? We chased them away?"

Suddenly though, arms burst through the door and grabbed Pedro, he screamed, thrashed about, trying to escape before eventually doing so. He then ran, leapt over the counter and hid behind it causing me to spit "Coward!"

That's when we heard Alex's voice explaining "Fear triggers the virus." Instantly, we heard Pedro let out a bloodcurdling scream. I turned to see him hunched over the counter shaking. Claire approached him asking "Pedro?" However he lashed out and grabbed hold of her!

Alex's voice was again heard, saying "See how his bracelet changed to the colour of fear?" As she said these words, Pedro began letting out grotesque gargling noises, blood leaked from his mouth and eyes as Claire desperately tried to escape his grip.

Moira yelled "Claire! I got you!" Before tackling Pedro. As he staggered back though, eyeball-like growths began emerging from his body. Alex cruelly said "It means he's not the one." Pedro gripped the drill he was carrying and let out a loud roar as we got a good look at his now-mutated form!

Image of Mutated Pedro:

Instantly, Pedro began flailing at us with the large drill

Instantly, Pedro began flailing at us with the large drill. Alex explained "My escape is death, but not this one."  With another roar, Pedro swiped at me with the drill, I backflipped away from him as he rasped out "I'm free, feels good..."

The door to the bar burst down as more Afflicted entered. Moira yelled "Are you kidding? There's no effing way we're gonna beat that thing!" Claire then instructed "Run Moira run!" Both of them ran from the bar.

I followed behind trying to distract Pedro from the others as he violently swung at me with the drill-like device. I had no trouble dodging as despite being extremely durable, Pedro was still slow and clumsy, similar to those Ganados and Majini with chainsaws.

While I was occupied with this, Claire and Moira fled all around the village, being pursued by hordes of Afflicted. That's when we all heard a familiar voice saying "Claire! Get up to the roof!" Turning around we saw Neil on top of the bar, he kicked down a ladder for us to climb.

Claire went first and Moira after her. I however stayed, Claire turned to me and said "Y/N, come on!" I however just turned and gave her a grin saying "You three go on ahead. I'll keep old freaky here at bay." 

Claire, Moira and Neil all looked at me shocked however Claire nodded and the three of them all ran along the roof before reaching a nearby rock ledge and slowly disappearing from sight. Once they were gone, a smirk appeared on my face.

I turned to face Pedro and the Afflicted horde that were now approaching me slowly before saying "Not that it hasn't been fun boys and girls. But I have much better things to do. Farewell Pedro." 

Pedro let out an enraged roar before charging towards me with the drill. However I used my Hookshot to instantly grapple up to the top of the Wossek bar before leaping up the side of a nearby cliff-face behind it.

I had no intention of honourably sacrificing myself. I just needed Claire and Moira out of my way so I could make my way to the monument without any distractions.

And now, I was one step closer to getting the answers I wanted...

Author's Note: And that's it for this chapter, I'm sorry for not uploading yesterday, but hopefully this chapter makes up for it, I really enjoyed writing this one and as always, thank you for reading.