Stepping Stone

Priya understood what she was missing for a few days. It was nothing but Ram's care, affection, attention, and their sweet banter. She is happy after marriage and cherishes their relationship. Her smile faded thinking that Mr. Kapoor said he can't love again in his life. I need to talk to him tonight before things fall out of hand.

Priya was in her room when she heard a loud laughing voice from outside and she was surprised to see Vedika in the living room sitting with Nandini and Mami, they were discussing on Holi party arrangement.

Priya was confused with Vedika's behavior and never got any positive vibe from her. As per my knowledge, Vedika is Mr. Kapoor's college friend but she is unusually close to Nandini only. Mr. Kapoor's behavior towards Vedika is also different compared to the rest of the friend gang. He is very formal in front of Vedika and gets uncomfortable with her and sometimes a little awkward as well. Surprisingly, I feel nobody likes Vedika from their friend gang. Mr. Kapoor is friendly towards everyone and can do anything and everything for others but I feel, he doesn't want Vedika to live in KM.

It was 8 pm evening time when Ram came back from his meeting and freshened up. He went down and sat in a bar with his drink while chatting with the gang and that they had dinner together after a week. 

Priya: Today Vedika came to visit NandiniMom and they were planning for Holi party.

Ram: Seriously with a confused face but then twisted it by saying it's good for her mental health.

Priya: is there any problem? You don't want her to come here

Ram: she just back to her house recently and I wasn't expecting Vedika here so soon. Anyway, I'll talk to Mom about it.

After dinner, Ram straightway went to Nandini's room to discuss it and then back to his room. Priya felt that Ram was definitely worried to hear that Vedika pays a visit here and going to be here in Holi. He is always happy when people are around him, he is a people-pleasing person but his behavior is weird towards Vedika. There might be something that happened that I'm not aware of.

Priya: Mr. Kapoor, is everything ok?

Ram: Yes, why are you asking? 

Priya was about to say something when Ram got a call from Adi and he left the room to receive it. Priya noticed the change in Ram's mood. He looked very tense tonight and decided to discuss it some other day. 

The next day Ram back from the office bit early and they had dinner together but Ram was unusually silent tonight. After dinner, Ram and Priya back to their room and Ram was swiping on his phone.

Priya: Mr. Kapoor, I was thinking to go to Meera Maa's house on Holi.

Ram got a call from Vicky and asked for 5min to wait. Ram was discussing some meetings.

Ram: Yaar, It's fine with me. You can set up the meeting with the clients in the afternoon. I'm not interested in the Holi party. Ok Bye.

Ram: Sorry Priya, it was urgent. You're saying something about Holi 

Priya: Nothing, just leave it. 

Ram: I said sorry, we can talk.

Priya: Do you have time for me from your busy schedule, I guess I need to book an appointment to talk with you.

Ram: Switch off the phone. Nobody will disturb us, we can talk freely. Please Priya

Priya: not sure if I should say or not, you might find it's silly 

Ram: please don't hesitate, you can say whatever you want to

Priya: The reason is you, Mr. Kapoor. You're not the same person with whom I married. You have changed after knowing MS's truth for which I apologized already, you are avoiding me for the last 2 weeks. Nowadays you're out of town every alternate day to maintain distance with me and you have also stopped talking to me. We're together in this room but still, I feel alone. I can't tolerate this silence anymore, it's hurting me.

Priya voiced her feelings today with a teary eye and couldn't control her emotion. Ram went to Priya's side of the bed where Priya was sitting. He moved forward to her to give comfort but stepped back, giving the tissue to wipe her tear.

Ram: I'm sorry Priya, please stop crying.

Priya: Do you really care about my feeling? Why is it bothering you now if I cry?

Ram: I can't see your tear and can't let you break down like this. It's hurting me more knowing that I'm the reason for your pain at the end.

Priya: You're standing next to me but didn't come forward to wipe my tear like earlier. You said to Maa that there are no hard feelings for me. I can see it and feel it, don't lie to me.

Ram: The first reason is that I don't want you to feel uncomfortable with my closeness. Second, I wanted you to be who you are, who never wanted any help or support from others. I don't want to change you rather stand on your back to support you if needed.

Yes, for the last couple of days I'm not being myself with you but it was essential for us to get personal space and time to re-evaluate ourselves and our feelings.

Priya: Do you have any second thoughts about our relationship or doubts about me?

Ram: What are you saying? For me, relationships are more important than anything else. I vowed myself during the marriage that I'll never leave you no matter the consequences.

Priya: A relationship can't stand longer without communication. It's the foundation for any relationship. Here, you're looking for chances to avoid me and forget about talking and sharing.

Ram: Agreed, we need to share our problems and be transparent with each other without any hesitation. But we can't open up easily due to our own fear or circumstances. It will improve with time and effort. There will be no secrets when we will have trust from both sides.

Priya: I know you supported me in front of everyone out of compulsion only, not because you trust me.

Ram: It's my responsibility as a husband. I'll support and shield my family from any danger and protect them from any hardship from their life.

Priya: You have every right there is to get angry with me and ask questions but you're silent.

Ram: I don't know if I've got any HAQ (rights) on you or not. I'm not the kind of person who will try to define boundaries for others or interfere in anyone's decision.

Priya: I promise you that I'll never lie to you in the future. I didn't realize the gravity of the situation at that moment. You can show your frustration on me as I broke your trust again.

Ram: Yes, I was pissed off on you because you hid the accident plan, putting your life in danger. How could you be so stupid? Do you even realize you could have died? What will I do if anything would have happened to you?

Priya was shocked to hear this as she didn't expect this kind of reaction from Ram or care and concern for her.

Priya: You're the one who has held this marriage thread tightly whereas I keep hammering it. You'd shown me your trust in me but I kept lying to you and put you on a knife-edge.

Ram: that's not true fully. I didn't tell you the truth about my past either. I know you told me that you're not interested in my past. For me, the past is my stepping stone, not my milestone.

Priya: Exactly, Past is past. I'm not interested to know about it. 

Ram: Wait Priya, please don't stop me now. I feel guilty to hid my past, it's killing me every day. It was my responsibility to tell you when my Ex lived with us under the same roof for 3 months.