eighteen

It's been hell since Shannon has arrived. Actual hell. Well, ok. That's a tad bit dramatic but it feels like it's been hell.

Especially these past three days. But the day has finally come where she finally gets to leave. Returning to wherever the fuck she's going.

With her gone, it means that it's safe. Safe for me and girlfriend to freely roam the house without having to bump into her and fight.

No more white people calling me the n-word. No more homophobia. Just the pure loving atmosphere this family truly does have.

But there's still a few more hours of hell. Shannon won't leave, for some reason, until ten o'clock tonight. Probably just to fuck with us.

Whatever the reason is, I'm still happy she's leaving. Happy enough to actually have a bubble bath. Like a fucking toddler.

"Come on, it's fun, baby," Sabrina, who's pretty much a toddler, is obviously having fun in our little bath, "Regular baths are boring."

"You're lucky it's a good fucking day today." I lean back. Allowing my body to relax in the bubbles.

Hands meet my hips underwater and I open my eyes to see her crawling up on top of me. "Happiness looks great on you."

A small laugh leaves my lips at her cheesy line. Cheesy and cliché but still romantic as fuck, honestly. Pretty good description of her.

I'm given a gentle kiss on my laps then open my legs allowing her to settle in between them. No, not in a dirty way, you freaks.

Just sitting between my legs, laying her head back against my chest. Cuddling in and giving kisses to whatever skin she can reach.

"Until the day I die, I'm gonna do nothing but protect you, and love you, and do any and everything I can to make you happy."

That's a lot to hear. A little overwhelming, honestly. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna do the exact same to her. Because I will.

And she knows that even when I say, "I got you fucking whipped. Black girl magic at it's very finest."

Sabrina giggles, hands finding mine. And immediately, tangle together perfectly under the water. "I love that you're so proud of who you are."

"Black Latina," I find myself not smiling like she is as I state my identity, "I get to deal with bitches telling me the cops will shoot me and those same bitches telling me to go back to my own country. Very proud."

"You're proud. I know you are. And I'm proud of you for being proud. I'll never be able to understand what it's like for you, but I know it's hard."

We fall into a silence after that. The only sound is me pressing a sweet kiss to the top of her head. Over her stunning blonde hair.

Comfortable silence is always great. Very important in relationships too. You can't always relay on having to speak.

Sounds dumb but it's something I've learnt over these past failed relationship I've had in my lifetime.

Silence is just as important as communicating. You gotta be able to just connect with the person you love. Without talking.

But eventually, she starts talking. Fingers fidgeting around with mine. "Hey, River?"

"Hey, Sabrina," I laugh at her. I say this way too much (because I'm so fucking whipped by her too) but she's so cute.