husband to be

"Oh my god, white roses would be beautiful!" My best friend, Faye gushed. I nodded in agreement.

Faye continued to ramble on about her wedding and I felt myself begin to drift off. Yes, I am meant to be the maid of honour, but that doesn't stop the fact that I find weddings so boring. It also doesn't help that I might be in love with her husband to be. And he might be in love with me also.

-

It all started three months ago. Faye and I were on holiday in Italy and she decided that it would be a great idea to bring her fiancée Shawn along too.

One night, Faye was ill and she went to bed early, leaving Shawn and I alone together in a bar. We took a few shots and talked for ages about anything and everything. One thing led to another, and I woke up in my hotel room with him by my side.

It was so wrong, but I couldn't help but admire him as he slept peacefully beside me. The feeling of guilt I expected didn't seem to come over me. Instead, all I felt was true happiness. A feeling I hadn't felt in a long time. Faint memories of the night before flooded in and out of my mind and I couldn't help the smile that crept on to my face.

Shawn stirred slightly before he turned to face me. A small smile formed on his face as he stared lazily at me.

"Hey." I whispered.

"Hey." He replied.

We both just sat there in silence for a few moments, lost in each other's eyes.

The moment quickly ended as desperate knocks sounded on the hotel room door. Panicking, I shoved Shawn into the bathroom. I quickly threw on some clothes and rushed to the door. I opened it reveal a flustered Faye. My eyes widened slightly.

"Hey, Faye. What's-"

"I can't find Shawn! Have you seen him? Is he here?" She asked, frantically. She burst into the room and a look of panic flashed across my face.

"He left before me. Thought he went back to your room?" I lied. She snapped her head over in my direction. It was then that I noticed she had bloodshot eyes.

"I'll help you look for him." I said, grabbing my shoes and putting them on. She shoved past me and dashed down the hallway.

I turned to look at the bathroom where Shawn was hiding. I instantly felt guilty for lying to Faye about him. But I could never tell her about what happened between Shawn and I that night. It would hurt her more than anyone could imagine.

-

That wasn't the only time something happened between myself and Shawn, though. Unnoticeable moments between the two of us became a common occurrence. Spending the night in each other's arms wasn't unusual. In fact, the nights we didn't spend together, I found myself aching for him.

But he's marrying my best friend. She's in love with him. She deserves him more than I do. Right?

She can treat him better.

I just need to keep telling myself that.

~~

expect a part 2 lol