just a scene

"This can't be over." I whispered, my voice cracking.

He sighed and stared at the ground.

"I'm sorry, Heidi." He said. "I have to go. Please forget about me. Move on. Find someone who will treat you better than I ever could."

My eyes watered and I edged towards him. He took a step back.

"Please, don't make this harder for me. Don't kiss me." He said, his eyes not leaving the ground.

"But I love you, Josh!" I yelled. "I want to cherish my time left with you! Don't you get it? If I can't have you ever again, I want to leave you with an everlasting memory of me. One you can't forget. No matter how hard you try."

Shawn leaned in. Our faces were inches apart. Our lips brushed before they crashed against each other, quickly moving in sync.

"And cut!" The director, Chris, yelled.

Shawn and I pulled away. Our breathing was heavy and my heart raced. We locked eyes for a few moments, both speechless.

"That was incredible!" Chris cheered, coming over to us.

We turned to face him, fake smiles plastered on our faces. Thoughts of the kiss we'd just shared rushed around in my mind.

Even though it was just for a scene, it felt so real. It felt as if we had been yearning for each other this whole time, even if we didn't know it. The way our lips moved so perfectly with one another took my breath away.

Chris walked away, leaving Shawn and I alone. We stared at each other in silence.

"How did you think that went?" I asked after a while.

"Better than I expected." He said.

"Really?"

"Really."

We were silent. All that could be heard was distant voices talking and laughing with one another.

"It felt like more than just a scene." He blurted. His eyes widened at his words and so did mine.

"Well it's a shame that's all it will ever be." I said.

God, how I wish it wasn't. But we both knew that if we were to ever happen, it would only end up in disaster.

~~

ew