happier

Out the corner of my eye, I spotted them. My eyes began to water and I stared down at the table. Lilia placed a hand on my shoulder comfortingly. I tilted my head up to face her and she gave me a sympathetic smile.

Everyone on our table began a conversation about something, but I'm not sure what. I was too distracted by the happy couple in the corner.

She leaned over to whisper something in his ear. His eyes scanned the room, seemingly looking for someone. Soon enough, his eyes landed on me. He froze, his eyes widening.

We stared at each other for a while. She kept nudging his side, desperately trying to get his attention. She kept saying something to him and pointing towards a random person. He simply ignored her and continued staring at me.

"y/n, what wrong?" I heard my friend, Georgia say.

I snapped my head in her direction. Everyone who was sat at the table with us was now silent and staring at me.

"Um-"

"Shawn's here with his new girlfriend." Lilia interrupted.

My head turned back in his direction. He was no longer looking at me. Instead, him and his new girlfriend were laughing over something she had said.

The smile on his face was genuine as he stared longingly at her. His eyes lit up every time she said something. He loves her more than he ever did me.

I guess he looks happier.

~~

i was listening to happier by ed sheeran and got inspired to write this. i love that song.