can't make me love you

Shawn's eyes stared into mine, a look of hurt sketched within them. My heart ached at the mere sight of him like this. And the fact that I was the one who caused this hurt made it even more painful.

Salty tears slipped down my cheeks. My head dropped to face the floor. I could no longer look him in the eyes.

"y/n, what are you saying?" Shawn choked out.

I took a deep breath. My shaky hand wiped away a single stray tear. My eyes then trailed up to meet his. The familiar look of hurt still remained, which just made this even harder for me.

"I'm sorry." I paused. "But I can't do this anymore. What we had is over."

"No. It can't be."

My heart completely shattered at that moment. The strain in his voice mixed with his teary eyes was too much for me to handle.

"I'm so sorry, Shawn." I muttered, tears streaming down my face uncontrollably now.

"Please don't do this, y/n." Shawn said. "We can fix this. We can make this work."

A sigh escaped my lips.

How can I tell him that I don't love him? I wish I could love him, but I just can't. I can't let go of the past.

I can't love him.

"You can't make me love you, Shawn." I mumbled, my voice shaky.

Shawn froze. A tear slipped from his eye. He was lost for words.

That's when I knew that I had broken him.

~~

i rediscovered nobody compares by 1d and it's honestly such a bop. don't know how i forgot about that song.