The Red Canyon:

Their mission was quickly approaching, the days felt as though they blended in with one another.

Another student's Birthday passed, luckily this time Byleth had forewarning thanks to Annette. And was able to tell Mercedes happy Birthday on the proper day. But aside from that there was nothing of note.

And then the day of the mission came.

Byleth didn't get any sleep the night before, her mind ran wild with the thought of everything that could go wrong.

The brisk cold air felt numb against her skin, slowly one by one her class began to gather.

There were those that were excited like Annette and Felix, and there were others who looked to have the same thoughts about this as Byleth. Ashe and Mercedes, both normally happy students kept to themselves this morning, and Byleth couldn't blame them.

Today they would take a life.

Byleth remembered her first kill when she had become a knight.

She had nightmares of the incident for moons after.

And now... She would force her pupils to do the same.

It feels wrong. They're still so innocent, they don't deserve to go through things like this.

But alas... It is out of her hands.

"Hey there Byleth" Sylvain's voice cuts through her thoughts "You looked to be brooding a lot over here" he said nonchalantly.

Byleth frowned, "I wasn't brooding" she said sternly.

Sylvain shook his head, "Oh but you definitely were Byleth" he laughed then leaned close to her and squinted at her, "You didn't get much sleep, did you?" he whispers.

Byleth sighed, "No I didn't" she confessed "But don't worry I won't let anything happen to any of you".

"You know Byleth, you can trust us to fight as well" Sylvain said "You won't be able to handle them all on your own" he added.

Byleth nodded, "I know that it's just... I don't want anything bad to happen" she sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

Sylvain is silent for a moment, then pats her shoulder "There's nothing wrong with that" he said "But you have prepared us well enough to fight beside you as allies" he said "Not damsels".

She'd never thought of it in that way.

"I suppose you're right," Byleth sighed.

Sylvain smiled, "Of course I am" he said confidently then looked behind her, "Ah, here comes His Highness and Dedue, I guess we'll be going now then".

"Good morning Byleth" Dimitri called out as he approached them, "Sylvain, I do hope you aren't bothering Byleth" he said sternly.

Sylvain laughed, "I would never bother a lovely lady such as Byleth" he said "We were merely gazing into one another's eyes professing our undying love to each other".

"Don't be an idiot Sylvain" Dimitri sighed and shook his head.

As those two were distracted with the banter between each other Byleth looked around the rest of the Blue Lions were here already.

It was time.

"Alright everyone" Byleth called out "We are going to leave for our mission now to the Red Canyon" she said "I cannot stress this enough, do not go off on your own" she said sternly "That will make you an easy target, we will be stronger in numbers" she said then paused a moment "Aside from that, brace yourselves I anticipate that these bandits don't plan to go down easy" Byleth declared "That's all" she concluded and left to her horse.