An Alternate View - 23

Draco

I grimaced as I was ushered by one of the event coordinators from my room to my parent's room. Although this was my birthday party, it was also a social event for my parents to maintain the Malfoy social status. It was important, especially since my father lost his position as school governor only a few weeks ago. I tried to swallow my anxiety and fear of failure, but a tiny sliver of it remained.

Why couldn't Aphry have gotten ready in her room?  I wondered.  Mother and Father's room is across the entire house.

My parents were already downstairs, along with Aphry's father. I could hear the music and the collective hum of the guests in the ballroom, waiting for our upcoming arrival.

Reaching the end of the corridor, I grabbed the dark bronze door handle, entering the drawing-room. I looked around the portraits of Malfoys past, addressing them all with a respectful nod. I received multiple approving looks from many of the men as the ladies gave compliments on my formal attire.

I knocked on the door to my mother's dressing room. After a moment, one of the attendants opened the door. "Come on in Mr. Malfoy," she said, stepping aside to let me in.

I entered the room a few steps, hearing my friend saying, "Hi, Draco! We're just about done." 

As soon as I saw Aphrodite I stopped in my tracks.

My interest in girls as more than friends had been peaking for the past few months, and it was the first time I ever saw her as a young woman.

She sat with the poise of a princess on the round, black upholstered ottoman that sat in the middle of the closeted area of the room, a pool of blue fabric around her. One attendant was clasping a buckle on her shoe, while another put the finishing touches on her curly, auburn hair adorned with crystal pins. She smiled at the attendants brightly, thanking them as they finished up and left the room, Then admiring the completed look in the mirror she was facing. 

Turning to face me, she gasped. "Draco, you look so handsome!" she said as she approached me, beaming.

I chuckled a little, looking down at my traditional black tux. "Thank you. You look lovely as well."

She gave me a sly smirk, taking a step closer to me. "Draco Lucius Malfoy, is that a genuine smile that I see on your face?"

My smile turned into a smirk at the quip. "And what about that smirk on yours?" She rolled her eyes as she gave a full smile, urging gave a small laugh from me. "I guess everything's set right now."

"Mr. Malfoy, Miss Cytheria," my attendant interrupted us. We both looked at her. "It's almost time."

We looked toward each other once again. "Well, shall we go, Mr. Malfoy?" She asked. Without another word, I offered my arm to her, as I'd been instructed in our etiquette classes. She placed her hand delicately in the crook of my elbow and we followed the attendant out of the room.

Before even crossing the threshold into the drawing-room, I had plotted about half a dozen ways to convince her to date me.

And of course, she would. I was Draco Malfoy, and I knew how to get what I wanted.

We crossed the threshold and the wives in the Malfoy portraits audibly gasped at Aphrodite. She beamed, and her cheeks blushed red as they complimented her. She graciously thanked them as we walked out into the corridor.

I went to pull the door all the way closed, but not before hearing the muffled voice of Armand Malfoy saying definitely, "That boy looked at her like he has just realized she is the next Mrs. Malfoy."

I smirked as we walked down the corridor, amused at the comment. It certainly wasn't that serious.