Protection - 103

After the beginning of term feast, we returned to our common rooms. Daphne and I took our usual spots on the couch in front of the fireplace, and began discussing the more eventful moments of the feast. 

"What do you think of the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? Umbridge, was it?" She asked in a whisper. "Bit of an odd speech of hers, wasn't it?"

I nodded. "There is something very odd about her in general. She doesn't seem the type Dumbledore would choose."

"To be honest," Daphne mumbled, "halfway into her long-winded speech, I just couldn't focus on any but that fluffy pink cardigan."

My eyes widened and I looked at her. "Oh God, me too! I felt so shallow, but it is such a ghastly shade!" We both started laughing at the situation and thinking the same thing about it.

The stone doors that connected the common room to the hallway ground open. Draco and Pansy walked in, flanked by the fresh crop of first years. Daphne and I were still in our fit of laughter, but the feeling of my necklaces warmth had me turning my head toward Draco at the top of the common room steps. He was looking toward me, but the moment our eyes locked, the warm sensation vanished, and Draco's expression was nothing but his recently common broody expression.

He turned his attention to the group following him with a cocky smirk. "You lot will soon learn that you're in the superior house." Draco told the impressionable eleven year olds, and I noticed a few looked at each other with their own small smirks. "But despite that fact, the students in other houses don't tend to like hearing it very much. Anyways, This," he swept his arm over the common room, "is the Slytherin common room." The first years looked over the common room in awe. "Now off to bed you all. Boys, I'll lead you to your dormitories. Girls, Pansy will take you to yours."

They each disappeared their separate ways, and I turned to Daphne. "I think I'm going to go see if Professor Snape is in his office." I said. I need to do something to get my mind off of Draco's odd behavior.

"This late?" she said. "We haven't even started classed. What could you need to talk about?"

I leaned to her, speaking low. "Honestly, I'd like to know what I did that was so egregious that it cost me getting prefect." I really didn't want everyone knowing I was bitter about it, but I knew Daphne would be discreet.

She raised an eyebrow curiously, then nodded. "You're excused. But only if you let me know what he says. I'm curious as well." Her dismissal prompted a short laugh out of me, then I stood and headed out of the common room.

When I got to Snape's office, his door was open and thankfully he was there, sitting at his desk. I knocked on the door to announce my presence, and he lifted his head from his work. "Ah, Aphrodite," he said nonchalantly, then turned back to his writing. "Couldn't even get through your first night back with having to come and ask me why I didn't assign you prefect?"

So he was expecting this? "Indeed," I said as I walked up to his desk, making sure my spine was straight and I appeared confident. "I thought I was most qualified. So did many others. Of all the times you could use nepotism in my favor, you didn't?"

Snape sighed annoyedly, and aggressively scrawled a word or two more before putting his quill in it's inkwell. "After keeping Draco in line for four years, one would think you wouldn't want the additional burden of doing so with the whole school."

"I would," I said as I sat down at one of the chairs opposite him, "Especially if the alternative is Pansy Parkinson rubbing it in my face! She will never let me live this down."

As he folded the parchment, he said. "Aphrodite, I have never witnessed you behaving so pettily. Are you not hosting your debutante ball next summer? That should even things between you two of you socially," he responded dismissively as the parchment was placed to the side of his desk.

These felt like poor excuses. Lifting my brows, I looked at him incredulously. "There are plenty of hosts that were also prefects. One does not disqualify the other!"

My godfather placed his arms on his desk, interlaced his fingers in front of him. "I highly doubt that matters. Regardless, you'll never need to write 'Prefect' on a resume. Your name can get you virtually any position you want in wizarding society. And that's only if you don't choose the standard route the other witches in your standing have of marrying a wealthy wizard, mothering children, and hosting and attending high caliber functions."

The urge to release an aggravated groan was strong, but I managed to release a dignified huff before saying. "There's something you aren't telling me."

He was unphased by my statement. "It is for your protection, Aphrodite."

My jaw set, angry at the admission. "Tell me then, Severus," I ground out. "How am I suppose to protect Draco... how am I suppose to protect myself... when I am ignorant to so much?"

 Severus Snape stared at me for several seconds, his eyes cut into thin lines. Finally, he said, "Very well." He grabbed his wand sitting on his desk, swished it, and the door sofftly swung closed and clicked shut. Putting his wand down, he looked at me again. "Umbridge is here by order of Cornelius Fudge. The ministry is trying to take even more control over the school, and will certainly if Potter opens his particularly large mouth as he so frequently does. Your father and I thought it would not be worth the emotional strain for you being prefect under such a divided teaching administration."

I frowned, my brow knitting together in the center. "I could have handled it," I said, knowing I was pouting.

"You do not know that," Severus said. "Besides, you're workload will already be stressful enough with it being your O.W.L.s year."

"You underestimate me. Father and you both," I said. "You say I am a powerful witch but don't treat me like it."

"Powerful for your age," He said, leaning toward me. "Aphrodite, we are on the verge of war. Now is not the time to forget that that are others vastly more powerful than you."

I glared at him. A small part of me knew that he was right, but the hurt of getting passed up for an honour I felt I deserved was far more prominent. I'd suddenly felt drained, and lost interest in arguing with him over a decision that had already been made. "I'm going to bed now," I said, knowing I sounded pathetic.

He raised a brow, but merely responded. "Good night, Aphrodite." before I left without another word to him.