Azkaban - 118

Aphry

Two days passed, and my necklace didn't cease its icy attack on me. Draco seemed perfectly fine, though, and I began to truly wonder if the necklace had become defective or damaged. I couldn't ignore the chill, however, I managed to tolerate it.

Sunday morning came, and we were all eating in the great hall with high spirits. Discussions of the final days of term and what we had planned for the Summer buzzed around the table. Daphne was trying to get me to reveal the most exciting details of the debutante ball, and I was having too much fun keeping everything from her while the owls dove in to deliver the Sunday Prophet. 

An owl unknown to me dropped a letter in front of Draco, who was across from me, and I noticed instantly that it was Narcissa's stationery. The deep green envelope could be mistaken for black in dim lighting, and the silver wax seal bore the Malfoy family crest.

"At least tell me what flavour punch you selected!" she exclaimed in frustration, though I had stopped paying attention to her as Draco opened the envelope. I watched as his eyes scanned the words on the parchment. My necklace started to tingle, increasing incrementally as Draco's hands gripped the paper tighter and tighter until his knuckles turned white.

He then shot up from the table, running off. The others did nothing but watch him exit the hall.

I got up, unable to ignore the compulsion to make sure she was alright. As I stood from the table, it was then that I saw the cover story of the paper: HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED RETURNS. 

I'll have to worry about that later, I thought to myself as I followed Draco out of the Great Hall.

Once I entered the entrance hall, I spotted Draco as he rushed down to the dungeons. I followed him all the way down the corridors to the Slytherin Common Room.

I was far enough behind him that I had to say the password to reopen the passage. The groaning stone of the entrance announced my presence as I entered.

Draco was standing by the fire, staring down into the flames. He looked up at me as I made my way down the stone steps and into the common room. All the other students had gone to breakfast by this point or had opted to enjoy the pleasant summer warmth rather than the dank cool of the common room. It awarded us a rare bit of privacy.

"What is it, Draco?" I asked, wondering what could possibly have angered him so fiercely.

He nodded to the coffee table, where the letter sat. "See for yourself," he responded sharply before returning his gaze to the fire.

I walked over, picking up the letter. Narcissa's cursive, tall and slanted slightly, scrolled across the pages.

Draco, 

I hate to inform you over owl, but your father has unfortunately been sent to Azkaban and news that the Dark Lord has returned will soon be out if it has not already. There was a run-in with the Potter boy at the ministry, and everyone there was caught and taken to Azkaban save for your Aunt Bella. I hope I beat the papers, but I couldn't use our quickest owls as I fear the ministry might recognize them as ours and try to intercept them.

I'm certain the Dark Lord will have him out shortly and back home, so please don't fret.

Please tell Aphrodite I say hello.

Love, Mum

"Draco, I'm so sorry," I said. I knew how devastating this was to him, with how he looked up to his father.

I knew then that this was the drawing line. The entire wizarding world knew that You-Know-Who was back, and it was past the time to decide which side to be on. Though I may not agree with the most closely held ideals of the 'dark' side, ultimately my allegiance lay with Draco. I thought of my father, who I imagined would make a similar decision in these circumstances, and hoped he was not in a cell alongside the elder Malfoy.

The room was silent for a while as I watched him stare at the fire. His jaw was set as he stewed in his anger. "This is all Potter's fault," he finally said, breaking the silence. "I hate him." The guttural sound he made as he uttered the three words told me how much pain he was in, and put a pang in my chest.

Of course, I didn't believe it was Harry's fault. Draco's father got himself into this situation. But Draco was heartbroken, and it wasn't going to help the situation to try and change his mind. "Is there anything I can do?" I asked, at a loss for how I could help him.

A sarcastic chuckle left him, and his eyes never left the fire. "Yeah," he said,  "Never let me see you near that bastard again."

I stepped closer to him, nearly shoulder to shoulder when I said, "Alright. Done." I'd already made the decision myself, this was just my verbalization of it.

His gaze turned to me, and he seemed taken aback that I didn't argue with him. But he didn't question me. Instead, he silently wrapped an arm around my back, gripping my arm on the opposite side and squeezing gently.

We stood there silently for a moment before he let go. "It's not going to do us any good, hiding in this dark common room. The others are probably outside, let's go find them."

I nodded. I could still see the anger and resentment brewing behind his eyes, but I did want to push him by asking if he was sure he wanted to socialize.

We headed out of the common room, and back in the direction of the entrance hall. As we exited, we ran into Crabbe and Goyle, who were tasked by the others with checking the common room since no one knew where the two of us ran off. Having found us, they turned around to go back out of the dungeons with us.

As we topped the stairs, the tingle in my necklace which has diminished a bit since talking to Draco, roared to full force once again. From behind Draco, I saw Harry, who had just come from the direction of the hospital wing.

Tension filled the entrance hall as we all stopped dead. I looked between Draco and Harry, wondering how this was going to end.

"You're dead, Potter," Draco said with a dark, threatening look in his eye.

I watched Harry's scar move as he lifted his brow.  "Funny, you think I'd stopped walking around."

My stomach tightened with anxiety. I was convinced Harry was going to be killed as a result of his attitude.

Draco's fists were clenched, his arms stiff at his side and his knuckles white as he boiled with rage. "You're going to pay. I'm going to make you pay for what you've done to my father. . . ."

Harry continued to push. "Well, I'm terrified now. I s'pose Lord Voldemort's just a warm-up act compared to you three." I recoiled at the utterance of the name, as did the boys. "What's the matter? He's your dad's mate, isn't he? Not scared of him, are you?"

I followed Draco as he stalked toward Harry, trying to determine the best moment to diffuse the situation. "You think you're such a big man, Potter. You wait. I'll have you. You can't land my father in prison —"

"I thought I just had," said Harry.

"The dementors have left Azkaban. Dad and the others'll be out in no time. . . ."

"Yeah, I expect they will," said Harry. "Still, at least everyone knows what scumbags they are now —"

Draco went for his wand with his right hand, and I grabbed his left arm trying to stop him. That gave just enough time for Snape to intervene, trying to antagonize Harry as always. And that was interrupted by Professor McGonagall. I was never more thankful for the flurry of points given to the other houses, as it served as enough distraction from Draco and Harry hexing each other to death. She sent us off to go outside, and Harry ran off without another word to Draco while I wondered if we would survive the rest of the year.