Ball Preparations - 82

Aphry

The night of the Yule Ball had come quickly, and the fourth-year Slytherin girl's dorm was bustling with energy. Narcissa had sent me a spellbook with hairstyles and techniques that we had all practised and, for the most part, perfected by the night of the ball.

"I can't believe Mrs. Malfoy sent this to you!" Daphne said, her eyes gaping as she peered into a velvet box. She looked lovely in a dark teal, empire-waisted regency-era-inspired gown. I paid no mind to Pansy as she silently stewed at me.

The fact her boyfriend's mother loved me dearly enough to loan me accessories was none of her business.

A small laugh escaped me. "Daphne, please! I am certain it's just costume jewellery," I said as I looked in my mirror and waived my wand for the umpteenth time to get my chignon just the way I wanted. It took several tries to even get the spell right, and after that, the style had either come out too tight, too unruly, or some variation of either.

I watched through the mirror as Daphne cut her eyes at me. "Aphry, this is Narcissa Malfoy. I highly doubt she owns costume jewellery. She gave an eleven-year-old a genuine emerald necklace for Merlin's sake! And who stores costume jewellery in a velvet box?"

Looking at my neck to the exact necklace she mentioned, I knew she was right, and it made me nervous. What if I lose or damage it? "Maybe I shouldn't wear it..." I said apprehensively as I gently pulled curls out to frame my face.

Gasping, Daphne put on the sternest look she could muster. "I will never forgive you if you don't!" she said. "And I don't think Mrs. Malfoy would, either!"

A light laugh came from me. "Well, I'm ready for it anyway, so bring it here."

Daphne lifted the tiara out of the box, shimmering with rows of cushion-shaped emeralds that looked nearly black at the base, and got lighter as they went up. It was a kokoshnik style, of course, keeping diplomatic fashion at the forefront of every decision. "It's even more gorgeous out of the box." She said, staring at it as she walked toward me.

She handed it to me and I placed it on my head. It had some weight to it. I used a spell to tightly pin and secure it to my head.

Finishing up, I smoothed out my gown. It was a dark olive velvet, intentionally reminiscent of the Durmstrang crest. The off-shoulder sleeves were another nod to past Russian fashions: long, Muscovite styles sleeves went about a foot below the tips of my fingers, with slits nearly all the way up the front that allowed me to put my arm through. Delicate sage embroidery of daffodils, roses, hyacinths, and many other flowers bordered the sleeves and neckline of the dress.

"Be careful with that tiara," Pansy said in her filly pink dress as she left. "I'll be wearing it when I marry Draco." The other fourth-year girls laughed as they trailed behind her.

It took everything for Daphne and me to hold in our laughter until she was out of earshot.

"She's delusional," Daphne said after laughing so hard she had to use a handkerchief to dab tears from her eyes to prevent ruining her makeup. "Draco threatens to break up with her weekly at this point!"

We made our way to the common room, where fourth years and older were bustling about in their best dress robes. The Great Hall wasn't going to be open for another hour or so, so most weren't ready to head up just yet.

It must have been my auburn hair. Otherwise, I don't know how Draco could always pick me out from a crowd. As I stepped out of the girl's dorms, his shock of blonde hair turned to me and our eyes connected.

Draco separated from his crowd and walked up to us. "Aphry," she greeted with a smirk. "You look lovely. Dress courtesy of my mother, I presume?"

I smiled, looking down and subconsciously smoothing down my dress. "Thank you, Draco. You know Narcissa always helps me in my fashion endeavours."

He laughed shortly. "I don't think she ever stopped using you as her dress-up doll."

"I think it will be a sad day when she does," I said. I looked him up and down. He always looked incredibly handsome in suits. Even more so now that his boyish looks were slowly being replaced with more mature features.

His bow tie was a complete mess, though.

I tsked. "Draco, do you still not know how to tie a proper bowtie?" I tilted my head as I scolded him.

He looked down to the ground and avoided my gaze, a bit embarrassed. "Mother usually does it," he said.

That prompted a head shake from me. "Let me fix it," I said. "Then I have to go down to the Durmstrang ship and meet Dimitri."

I took a step toward him, he lifted his chin, and I got to work on fixing his tie.

After a short moment of silence, he said, "I want to say something, but I can't tell if it'll upset you or you'll appreciate it."

My brow furrowed. What an odd thing to say! "Well, you've piqued my curiosity," I said, finishing his bowtie and putting my arms back to my side. He looked back down at me. "Now, you have to say it."

It was startling to see Draco without a scowl or smirk. His face was straight, void of all playfulness or mockery when he said, "You look like your mother..." Despite the warning, I was surprised, and my heart panged in my chest. "when she would get dressed for balls, and both our parents came to tell us goodnight..."

"The nights we would have sleepovers in either of our playrooms?" I said softly with a melancholy smile.

A silent beat passed. "I'm sorry," He said, regret filling his voice as he looked away.

"Don't be," I said, patting his shoulder gently. "Draco Malfoy that is probably one of the sweetest things that anybody has said to me."

Pansy then shouted for Draco from the couches where her gang of girls was. Draco, with the advantage of a turned back, glared annoyedly.

I sighed, feeling the same way. "I need to go anyway," I said. "I'll see you at the ball?"

He nodded solemnly. "See you later."