Buckbeak's Fate - 42

It was a Saturday and Draco was at quidditch practice, which meant that I had found some free time to hang out with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I had found it harder to get away since the holiday for some reason.

I got up early to avoid Daphne and Pansy, who would surely attempt to keep me amongst the Slytherins and met the three Gryffindors at breakfast.

Later that day, we were heading to visit Hagrid.

"Beautiful day isn't it," Hermione said walking ahead of us.

"Gorgeous," Ron responded, looking pointedly at Hermione. They seemed to have been acting odd all morning toward each other. "Unless of course, you've been ripped to pieces."

"Ripped to pieces?" Harry and I both asked. We shared a short, amused expression. "What are you talking about?" Harry finished.

"Ronald has lost his rat," Hermione explained, plainly irritated. Oh. Scabbers and Crookshanks, the two pets had kept Hermione and Ron at odds the entire year.

Ron quickly rebutted. "I haven't lost anything. Your cat killed him!"

"Rubbish," Hermione responded.

Ron looked back at Harry and me. "You two've seen the way that bloodthirsty beast of hers is always lurking about. And Scabbers is gone."

"I'm claiming ignorance," I said, putting my hands up in surrender. I did not want to get in the middle of this fight.

Hermione turned as she was walking to shoot a pointed look at Ron. "Well, maybe you should learn to take better care of your pets!"

"Your cat killed him!"

"Did not!"

"Did."

"Didn't."

I mumbled to Harry. "You'd think they weren't friends with all this bickering," I joked.

He laughed. "You and Malfoy sound like that half the time."

"Really?" I asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Identical." He responded. "Except it's less awkward because I'm not caught in the middle."

I laughed. "Well, sometimes you are. You just aren't brought in to take sides."

The Golden Trio knew plenty about Draco's disapproval of our friendship. "That's cause Malfoy knows I'd be taking yours." We chuckled a bit.

A short walk later, we approached the bank of the lake, where Hagrid was skipping rocks. It was apparent he had just come back from the hearing regarding Buckbeak. I leaned against a large boulder with Harry.

Hermione was the first to speak, "How did it go, Hagrid? The hearing." My breath caught. I was not very excited to hear this news.

Hagrid skipped another rock. "Well, first off, the committee members took turns talking about why we were there." Another rock. "And then I got up and did my piece, said how Buckbeak was a good Hippogriff, always cleaned his feathers."

He took a sigh before continuing. "And then, Lucius Malfoy got up. Well, you can imagine." I certainly could imagine. My breath hitched, anticipating the next words he'd say.

"He said Buckbeak was a deadly and dangerous creature who would kill you as soon as look at you." Another rock was skipped.

Hermione pushed him to continue on. "And then?"

"And then he asked the worst, did ol' Lucius." I had a feeling this was coming.

"They're not sacking you," Ron said.

"No, I'm not sacked," Hagrid said, skipping another rock. He then took a pause, dipping his head, before crying, "Buckbeak's been sentenced to death." He chucked his last rock into the water before a sob left him.

After the accident, I'd written pleading to father to talk to Lucius. I am certain that he tried, but Lucius was too stubborn to be talked out of this situation.

I felt like I shouldn't be here. Though I knew I wasn't responsible, a sense of guilt ate at me. "Excuse me," I said to Harry, before heading off.

"Aphry," Harry tried to call out, but I ignored him. Shedding a few tears as I hurried away from them.

As I made my way up to the castle, determined anger filled me. I knew exactly who was responsible for this, and exactly where he was.

I stormed to the quidditch changing room. The entire team silenced as I entered and approached Draco, who was sitting on bench half dressed, drying himself off from the shower he just took, and talking to Flint, whose back was turned to me. "Excuse me, Flint."

Flint turned, confused at my presence, and Draco stood. "What are you doing here, Aphry?" He seemed angry as well that I was barging in where I obviously was not supposed to be. But he was nowhere near as angry as I was.

"You...," I said as I snatched a bat from one of the beaters, "Are a sad excuse for a wizard."

His face was a mix of shock and anger. "How dare you..." 

I arched my arm back, my necklace turning icy cold, and I swung it forward, hitting him square in the stomach. He doubled over in pain, groaning. And once he got his breath back, he glared up at me.

I then just started screaming. "It's called instinct, Draco Malfoy! You fuck with mother nature, and you get hurt! It's a simple concept! Now I'm hearing your father got Buckbeak sentenced to death? The poor animal was only defending himself! If someone hurt me, you'd kill them in a fucking heartbeat! It's not so fucking different, Malfoy! Grow up and take responsibility for yourself, you prick! Know when it's your fault, and quit having your daddy fight your battles for you!"

By now he was standing up straight, and on his face was a dark glare. Now he was as angry as I was. He bent down and grabbed me by the waist, then picked me up and placed me over his shoulder. I began to kick and argue as he carried me out of the locker room. 

He took me to an outside corner of the castle and put me down with my back against the wall. He stood over me. "Aphrodite Cytheria, you will not speak to me that way. If your father heard that kind of language...."

I interrupted him. "Do not use my father against me! I couldn't care less about being proper right now. I am sick of this kind of shit! And I know you didn't carry me out here because of that bird, either! I called you out and made you look bad. Get used to it, Malfoy! As long as I live, you're going to have to deal with the fact that I'm the only person in Slytherin that will talk back to you! It will make our lives a hell of a lot easier!" He glared at me, and I glared at him as I caught my breath. My headache started coming, dull and throbbing, so without another word to him I began to walk off.

"Where are you going?" He called after me.

"To bed, Malfoy! I have a headache!"