Spinner's End - 132

Aphry

When we apparated, we faced a dark river's filthy, unkempt bank. I determined we were undoubtedly in England again, as it was grey and raining steadily.

"Come along, dear," Narcissa said in a hushed tone. She readjusted the hood of her cloak, then placed her hand between my shoulder blades to guide me. "Best we're in a bit of a hurry." I was completely clueless about her plans, but I trusted her implicitly. She would be the last to put me in any sort of danger.

Rushing alongside the banks, it wasn't long before a light pop that any witch or wizard could identify as apparition was heard behind us.

Narcissa and I synchronously turned out heads, seeing a  cloaked figure. Curls overflowed from the hood, revealing it was undoubtedly Bellatrix Lestrange. "Wait," she shouted at us.

"How did..." Narcissa said quietly. "Nevermind. Let's go, Aphrodite." She directed me up the river's bank and followed after me. 

Bellatrix rushed to follow after us, begging her sister to listen to some protest unknown to me. Apparently, they'd had this conversation before, and my godmother was not hearing it.

When we reached the top of the bank, a set of railings and a cobblestone road separated us from several rows of shabby-looking brick houses. I wondered what business Narcissa Malfoy could possibly have in such a derelict area.

"He lives here?" Bellatrix said with an air of disgust.

She continued fussing, but Narcissa was not listening. Instead finding an opening in the railings and guiding me through it before squeezing through herself.

"Cissy, wait!" Bellatrix said, realizing that we were already off.

I stayed close behind Narcissa as she guided us swiftly through alleyways between houses. Bellatrix caught up to us, rounding me and grabbing onto the other witch's arm. I grabbed my wand concealed under my cloak and prepared to protect Narcissa. "Cissy! You can't do this! He can't be trusted!"

Who can't be trusted, I wondered.

"The Dark Lord trust him," Narcissa countered.

What? Maybe I was wrong about Narcissa taking me somewhere dangerous.

"The Dark Lord is... I believe... mistaken," Bellatrix said. I was surprised. I had not yet heard her express any doubt in her master. Who was this individual, and why, if I assumed correctly, was I being taken to them? "In any case, we were told not to speak of the plan to anyone. This is a betrayal of the Dark Lord's —"

"Let go, Bella!" Narcissa said, a dark threat in her tone, which she supplemented by pulling out her own wand and holding it just under the other witch's chin.

Bellatrix only cackled. "Cissy! Your own sister? You wouldn't --"

"There is nothing I wouldn't do anymore!" Narcissa said, slicing her wand down. 

With a flash of light, Bellatrix released her grip on her sister to clutch her arm.

Narcissa pulled me along as Bellatrix exclaimed her name in a whisper. The two of us wove quietly through the alleyways and streets, save for the sound of our heels on the cobblestone. Bellatrix still followed but at a more cautious distance. 

We stopped at one of the homes, and Narcissa began rapping on the door repeatedly. Bellatrix approached just as the door opened a crack.

Through the crack, I recognized what was undeniably my godfather. Well, the secret second godfather who wasn't incarcerated at the time.