Borgin and Burkes - 139

Draco

Something was off about Aphry, but I couldn't pinpoint what it was. Her energy had shifted entirely.

I took careful glances, trying to figure her out whilst she spoke to the witch fitting me in my robes. She charmed all the staff she spoke to as always. She exhibited the same care and attention to detail helping Mother choose the best garments for me. But her smile, though lovely, never quite reached her eyes. She didn't necessarily seem upset, per se. Just... apathetic?

Whatever it was, I blamed Potter for it. She started acting differently in Madam Malkin's when his lot came in. A wave of protectiveness overcame me, and my hatred for him grew stronger.

Our time at the shop ended before I could pinpoint what was going on with Aphry and how I could fix it. And I had to shift my mind to the day's final and most important errand.

I cleared my mind, knowing the type of people that we would be in contact with, Aunt Bella included. I had mastered occlumency, able to ward off all my aunt's attempts at this point, but she refused to release me from my near-daily 'lessons' for reasons unknown to me. So to Aphry, it looked like I hadn't quite gotten it, and was lying to save what we had. Often I wondered if Bellatrix had overheard the agreement between Aphry and me, and was actively trying to sabotage the relationship.

We headed down the now derelict Diagon Alley, filled with trash and broken shop windows. All save for the Weasley's quickly successful joke shop. I rolled my eyes. In the midst of a war and people can't get enough of their 'puking pastilles?' Some people need to get their priorities straight.

I looked between Aphry and Mother, who now wore similar solemn expressions. Mother looked around, checking that the area was clear. Then the three of us headed down Knockturn Alley in a single file line down the narrow stone passage with Mother leading, Aphry in the middle, and me trailing the two ladies.

We headed down the familiar, steep set of stairs where Borgin and Burke's shopfront was seen not far from the bottom. Dull yellow light illuminated the various dark artefacts in the shop's windows. Mother and Aphry entered the shop, and I followed.

Upon entering the shop, my eyes immediately found the cabinet, by far one of the tallest and largest items in the shop.

The other Death Eaters meeting us piled in, crowding the room packed with merchandise. I looked at my Aunt Bella as she entered, testing my occlumency as she did so. Her brow raised in what I assumed was a pleased manner when I was successful in evading her.

I felt several pairs of eyes watch me as I walked up to the cabinet, which loomed over me as I drew closer. The asymmetrical shape and intricate design hinted at the piece's twin and function. I ran my fingers over the door, running it along the grain of the black wood, then trailed my fingers over to the gold metalwork running up the entire corner.  My hand rested on the door's handle. I finally took a step back and looked at the entire thing again bottom to top.

Another step of my task had come to fruition. The next was to fix the damned mate.

"Is this it, Draco?" my aunt asked expectantly as she sidled next to me, too close for my comfort though I didn't let it show.

I nodded in response before turning to her. "It is," I stated. "I recall passing by the other one at school on one occasion or another." 

She squealed with delight, placing a hand on my cheek. "Oh, this is great news!" She patted my cheek roughly a few times before gazing at the cabinet in appreciation of its now confirmed designated use as passage into Hogwarts.

Mother who was now on my side, took my hand supportively and kissed me gently on the cheek.

"Close that shade," I heard a female voice with confident authority say directly behind me. Mother tensed beside me.

We both turned around, surprised to see Aphry was the one who'd made the bold declaration amongst so many deemed her superiors. Her head was lowered a bit, glaring threateningly through her lashes at something behind me. I turned to look at the offender, seeing across from us the tall window that looked out into the streets and rooftops of Knockturn Alley. Fenrir Greyback stood on a high ledge in front of it. He was supposed to be a lookout.

The werewolf growled, not taking well to a young girl -- something he fancied a meal rather than any type of authority figure -- giving him orders. He looked behind him out the window, then back to her. "There's nothing there," he said, dismissing her.

"Close it," she repeated herself, her voice lowering further. Her eyes connected with my mother's, and her hand went toward her neck, soft pink fingertips delicately touching the emerald pendant. There was something, and she could sense it.

My mother whipped her head back around to Greyback, and in a similar low tone to Aphry's, said, "Do as she says, Greyback."

Tension filled the air, a challenge of wills stirring between Greyback and the two women. He then turned, finally drawing the shade.

I then turned to Borgin, who'd been anxiously watching from the perimeter of the group the entire time. "The other cabinet that's in the pair is broken. Do you know how to fix it?"

The shopkeeper seemed nervous. "Possibly. I'll need to see it, though. Why don't you bring it into the shop?"

"I can't," I said shortly. "It's got to stay put. I just need you to tell me how to do it."

Borgin wrung his hands and licked his lips nervously. "Well, without seeing it, I must say it will be a very difficult job, perhaps impossible. I couldn't guarantee anything."

I wasn't liking his weak response. Not all at. That wasn't going to save my family at all. I thought of how my father would respond to such an unsatisfactory answer. I shrugged off my suit jacket, handing it to my mother. "No?" I said, removing the snitch cufflink on my left wrist and handing it to Aphrodite, the only one besides Mother whom I trusted not to lose or steal it. "Perhaps this will make you more confident." I rolled up the black sleeve, showing the mark that proved my allegiance.

Borgin paled as he looked up into my eyes, and I felt a surge of power, knowing I had caused such a reaction. That I instilled fear in a grown man decades my senior.

I kept the feeling tampered, though. "Tell anyone and there will be retribution," I ordered as I returned my sleeve to its proper position. Aphrodite handed my cufflink back. "Greyback will be dropping in from time to time to make sure you're giving the problem your full attention."

Borgin began to protest. "There will be no need for —"

"I'll decide that." I interrupted as Mother helped me back into my suit jacket. "Well, I'd better be off. And don't forget to keep that one safe," I said, pointing to the cabinet. "I'll need it."

"Perhaps you'd like to take it now?" Borgin suggested.

I laughed cynically at the suggestion. "No, of course, I wouldn't, you stupid little man, how would I look carrying that down the street?" His eyes widened as if he realized the idiocy of the statement. "Just don't sell it."

Borgin nodded. "Of course not . . . sir." The shopkeeper gave a deep bow, much like I had seen him give my father on previous occasions. 

The pride and sense of power pulsed in me again. "Not a word to anyone, Borgin, understand?" I ordered, feeding off the sense of control.

"Naturally, naturally," murmured Borgin, bowing once again.

With that, I nodded toward the others, and we all dispersed the way we came. And part of me wished the summer to come to a close quickly so I could get to fixing this cabinet.