1

"Life... what a thing it is. We're brought to this world by our parents - they raise us and we learn to walk on our own feet. Then one day, they let us go. We go on our own ways but look back at times. I guess that's what some people would say. But my life? My life was, is, and will always remain incomplete."

"Oh come on yaar! What are you saying?! You're being so melodramatic," Payal exclaimed.

Payal is my best friend from forever. We first met each other when I moved into the neighborhood. She was always wild and excited, and of course active. That's what I liked about her. She always had a way of doing something and my days were always fun.

Today, not so much.

"I'm sorry Payal, but you know that's how I feel."

"Oh come on Khushi, you're being so mopey. I hate that! Seriously! Now get up we're going out."

"I don't think so, I don't feel good."

"How can you if you're being mopey? Now get ready we're going out."

"But-"

Payal had already left and I was left in my room alone. 

Great, another one of her crazy ideas. 

Amma had said that I had to stay home today. Some guy was coming today with his family to see me to create an alliance.

More like create the end of my life.

Payal came back into the room. "Yaar why do you always have a frown on your face. Me taking you out won't be a bad idea. Now come on get ready. Hey! You mind if I borrow something? No? Thanks!"

I got up and grabbed Payal's shoulder.

She looked at me. "What's up? Why do you look so-" She widened her eyes. "Oh no. Khushi  are you hiding something from me?"

"I'm sorry Payal but I wanted to tell you-"

She walked away and moved towards the window, fuming.

"Look Payal, I really did but then I didn't tell you-"

"Because why?!"

"Because I thought it was better if I just got married off and-"

"And what? End your life?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!"

"...no," I replied, my voice very tiny, almost a whisper.

Payal hid her face behind her hands and groaned. "Look, you are NOT getting married to that guy, and I will make sure of it. Just you wait and see."

She walked out of the room and went downstairs. I ran after her, calling her name. But I was too late. She went straight to Amma and Babuji.

"Aunty-ji, Khushi just told me about the family coming over. I can't wait! I'm going to make sure your daughter looks gorgeous! I just hope she doesn't do something stupid like last time."

I slapped my forehead remembering the last alliance. That was a mess; I'd rather not talk about it.

"Okay aunty-ji? Great! So I'll go prepare our angel right away," she grinned massively.

My parents just stared at her and she dragged me upstairs.

We came into my room and locked the door. Just then, a car pulled up. I immediately stopped breathing, completely nervous.

Payal smirked and looked at me. "Well then, let the games begin."