99

With the family gone, I gave Amma and Babuji the OK to let Arnav go, although Amma felt the need to feed her son in-law a bit more. Thank goodness Babuji stepped in and helped free my poor husband.

It was only some time later when Arnav finally arrived and as soon his eyes met mine, I couldn't help but to laugh - he looked like as if he had run through a marathon!

"Stop laughing," Arnav scowled.

But I couldn't help myself. "Maybe you should go check your weight, I think you gained 10 pounds," I laughed.

Arnav scowled once more before coming after me, chasing me around the living room.

"Khushi, get back here!"

But I only continued to run, laughing away. It honestly couldn't be helped; Arnav's childishness was always just so humoring whenever it came out. Unfortunately for me, the moment was quickly cut short, Arnav quickly going around the other way before I could even realize, and he caught me.

"Hey no fair," I pouted. "I'm always supposed to win."

"It's my birthday, it's my day to win at everything, wife," he frowned.

"Oh? Is that so," I teased, arching my brow. "How mature of you."

"Says the one who made me run around town and then get stuffed up by Amma," he scowled.

"Well someone needed to get Amma all the ingredients she needed to cook for her only son in-law on his birthday," I tried to say innocently, but ended up smiling.

Arnav only scowled in return and I could only laugh.

"Okay, enough scowling before it becomes permanent," I chuckled and I ran my thumb over his frown-line. "Go upstairs and freshen up."

"Why? So you can give me more errands and run around," and he rolled his eyes.

"No..."

His eyes met mine.

"...so that way we can start celebrating your special day."

Arnav looked me up and down for a moment, and I knew he had seen the glint in my eyes. "I'm pretty sure we already started at midnight."

The darkness in his eyes made me shiver slightly, but I tried not to get distracted. "That was just the pre-celebrations."

Arnav arched his brow.

"Now the real celebrations can begin."

He looked me carefully in the eyes. "What are you up to wife?"

I pulled away from him. "You'll just have to wait and find out," and I turned away. "You better go upstairs and quickly freshen up," I called out behind me as I left.

And I couldn't wait to get the celebrations started!

*~*

While Arnav showered and got ready, I quickly changed into a beautiful red anarkali and did my hair and makeup. I had made sure to keep my things downstairs in a guest bedroom, while I kept Arnav's outfit laid out on our bed – this way there would be bump-ins and no distractions, and the real distractions could begin as soon as Arnav got downstairs.

With one quick look in the mirror, I grabbed my earrings and quickly put them on, then headed back out to the main hall. A small smile stayed plastered on my face because it couldn't be helped; I knew that once Arnav got a look at me in my outfit, fireworks would go off in his head.

And that's exactly what happened.

Just as I came into the hall, Arnav was coming down the stairs, looking absolutely handsome and yummy! Loving how my husband always just killed it in navy-blue, I had chosen a navy-blue waistcoat for him, a white button down, and navy-blue pants for him, all properly set on our bed which my husband gladly wore. I felt sparks run through me just by the sight of him, but I quickly calmed myself and allowed myself to enjoy the look on Arnav's face.

My anarkali wasn't really revealing, except for the slightly scooped back. Nor was it heavy with designing, but rather covered with embroidery with little pearls along the edges, my dupatta exactly the same. But it was always the ones with the least to it that did the most work, because it allowed the outfit to dazzle in its beautiful shade of red, thus mesmerizing my husband.

Perfect!

"Wow," Arnav breathed as he came over to me, still looking me up and down.

He held his hand out and I placed mine in his. His eyes briefly moved away from my outfit as they drifted shut while he placed a kiss in my palm, before meeting my eyes.

If looks could you make you melt, this was definitely it.

"Do you like it," I nearly whispered.

Dammit Khushi, keep it together! How will you last the evening if you're like this now?!

He slowly pulled me to him, moving my arms around his neck and then bringing his hands to my waist. "You look absolutely stunning," Arnav smiled softly, and then he kissed me softly.

Oh gosh, this is just too good! But I have to stay focused!

I pulled back slightly. "And you look very handsome."

"Why thank you, my very beautiful wife chose this for me."

His eyes sparkled and I couldn't help my smile. "Did she now? She made quite the excellent choice."

"That she did," he winked, and I couldn't help my giggle.

I feel like a teenager all of a sudden!

"Stop it with your swoony-ness," I lightly nudged him.

Arnav arched his brow. "Swoony-ness," he questioned, completely humored.

"Yes, now follow me," and I took his hand in mine and led him out to the backyard.

It had been completely transformed, thanks to me and some help from the Prakash brothers. The back patio was now covered with twinkle lights, brightening up the place. A table for two was set up, dinner ready.

Arnav was surprised. "Did you do all of this?"

Khushi nodded. "Well, I had some help from Hari Prakash and Om Prakash but yeah...."

I watched as Arnav looked around, his attention now on the numerous candles that filled the pool.

His eyes met mine. "It's amazing."

I felt my cheeks heat. "Thank you."

Arnav came back over to me and placed a kiss on my forehead, holding me. "This is the best birthday ever."

"How would you know when we've only just begun?"

The tips of his fingers skimmed along my cheek. "I just do."

His lips met mine and my heart sighed. Not just because of his sweetness but because of my husband's naivety.

He had no idea what was in store for him.