69

Arnavji and I stood outside the door to my new home.

Yes, I'm addressing him properly again; given that he is now my husband, it's only proper and right, and I'm being a good wife.

"Wait, wait, wait ,wait," Payal exclaimed.

We paused as she came rushing forward in front of me and Arnavji.

"Phew, okay," she sighed before she smiled at me. "Part one - complete!" She walked in and stood with the family. "Part two - begins!"

Everyone smiled at Payal. Nani had a taal in her hand and began the rasums. After her, Mami went, with an expression on her face I couldn't quite understand. Then Kalavati went, Anjali went, and last but not least, Payal went.

She was grinning like a fool and looked at me slyly, her eyes gleaming mischievously, teasing me. I ignored it and watched Kalavati place a small pot with rice and Anjali place a taal with alta on the floor before me. I knocked the pot over and stepped into the pool of red. Carefully and with the help of my husband, I stepped out and made my way inside my new home, Arnavji by my side.

We went in and Kalavati had us sit down, seating us across each other, a bowl with milk and rose petals in between us. We obviously understood what was going on, but Kalavati went ahead and explained anyways.

Anjali placed a ring into a petal and mixed it around in the milk, along with the other petals. Arnavji gave me a challenging look and I gave him one back too.

Ever so the competitor, hmm, husband.

"So," Anjali said, "let's see whose love is stronger - Chote's or Khushi's?"

Arnavji smirked.

Oh, it's so on!

"Ready... go!"

We dipped our hands in, swirling around, trying to find the ring. As we searched for the ring, we never took our eyes off of the other. Everyone cheered out our names, but our focus never broke.

"Khushi! Khushi! Khushi!"

"Arnav! Arnav! Arnav!"

We were too focused on each other and the game. It was taking some time though, but oh well.

"Come on Khushi," Payal exclaimed. "You got this!"

"Nah," Akash replied. "Watch Bhai win this."

"Psht! You're on," and the two shook hands on it.

These two, I swear!

I moved my hand around, feeling every petal when I felt something. I reached in for it and picked it out. However, when I looked at it, I realized that Arnavji was holding onto the other side of the ring.

"Whoa," Payal and Akash said in unison.

"I don't think this has ever happened before," Kalavati said.

"Neither do I," Anjali said. "Right Nani?"

"You're both right," Nani responded. "I've never seen this ever happen. Nor has this ever happened in our family."

Arnavji and I looked at the ring, then at each other. We gazed at each other when Anjali spoke.

"Looks like these two have an equal amount of love for each other."

I looked away from him. He was always running through my mind and I was crazy for him. If he had the same amount of love for me... oh my!

Before anyone else said anything, Arnavji grabbed my hand with his other hand and put the ring into my ring finger, the band joining my beautiful engagement ring. Everyone clapped and cheered, and I blushed, looking away, unable to meet Arnavji's eyes.