90

Amma didn't waste another second and practically went running to the nearest pharmacy. It wasn't long until she came back with 4 boxes of pregnancy tests, each containing two.

"Seriously Amma," I looked at her incredulously.

"One can never take this too lightly, and we may potentially be talking about your future child, my future grandchild, so no playing about!"

She dashed down to the kitchen and got me a pitcher of water, thrusting a glass-full in my face. Not even bothering, I took it from her and gulped it down, and when I felt my bladder kicking, I took the tests with me into the bathroom and used them. They were mostly different from one another, Amma having gotten different brands much to my surprise. When I was done with my business, I lined them up on the counter and let Amma in. We waited, watching the few digital ones blink as it processed. In about two minutes, the blinking stopped, and all of the tests had come a conclusion.

Both of us looked over all of them and I held my breath, while Amma gasped.

"They're... you..." and she gasped once more, her hands covering her lips. "You're pregnant."

I stared at the eight positive pregnancy tests in shock.

I'm pregnant.

Amma squealed with delight and hugged me tightly and thank goodness she did because I felt like my knees were going to give out on me. Amma was over the moon and she treated me to something sweet and told Babuji the news.

"May you live a long and happy life," Babuji said, coming into my room.

The expression on my face dropped. "How can I be happy? The one who should be here with me - celebrating with me - is the one who wants nothing to do with me."

He placed a hand on my head and then both him and Amma left. I held my stomach and went into deep thought.

How could this have happened though? I mean I'm on the pill and... well there were those few times I accidentally didn't take them on time....

I looked down at my tummy and caressed it. A rush of emotions went through me and I shuddered.

I can't.

Amma came into my room with a tray of food. "Are you okay Khushi?"

"I'm not going to tell Arnav," I said, my voice low.

She set the tray down and sat down beside me. "Why not?"

"He doesn't deserve to know."

"Khushi-"

"Amma, he told me that he loved me. He promised me that he would never hurt me, that I would always be his! He promised me seven lifetimes! Yet what did he do?"

Amma looked down. I shook my head and looked at the calendar. Viren had the wedding planned in two days and I have no idea what's going to happen nor what I was going to do.