113

The annual ball this year was so much better than last year's. Actually, I barely even cared for it last year, or any of us for that matter. Since Di was pregnant at the time, not to mention not feeling so well, not much effort was put into it nor cared for, the function only feeling like a formality given that it just had to be done.

But this year, it was different. All was well with the family, smiles running across all of our faces. Everyone in the family attended, the paparazzi ready to smother us when we arrived. It became very clear that Nishan and Rani did not like them whatsoever, especially since Nishan's only words were no and go.

Once inside, however, things were much better, and the two calmed down. Old and familiar faces were everywhere, like Mr. Kumar and his wife. It had been a while since I'd seen the old man, since he and his wife had been away in New Zealand, spending time with their children and grandchildren out there.

There were more and more familiar faces everywhere, and I couldn't help but to think of the first ball I had attended.

Two years... two rollercoaster-of-a-ride years.

"Wife..."

Snapping out of my thoughts, I looked up at Arnav.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Some old memories from two years ago," I smiled softly.

"Oh? Do tell."

"Well, I remember being quite confused when I received the invitation."

"You and me, both, baby."

That makes sense; given that Arnav had never been in love before, he had been confused by his own feelings, hence all of that drama... as well as my own.

"No kidding," I scoffed to myself. "I couldn't figure out why I was so affected by the fact that I hadn't seen you in so long."

"Well you were in denial " he smirked teasingly.

I rolled my eyes with a grin. "Yeah, yeah," I waved off.

Arnav chuckled and wrapped his arm around my waist. "What else are you thinking about?"

"Mm... I remember seeing the family for the first time, not even for a moment thinking that one day I'd be a part of them." I glanced over at Dai and Di. "I also remember being blinded with jealousy, not even taking a moment to realize that the ladies you had your arms linked with were your sisters," I said, shaking my head at myself.

"That was actually quite funny, I won't lie."

I frowned at him, although my smile was evident.

"However, I have to admit, I was quite shocked seeing you be on the verge of tears."

My eyes slightly widened. "You noticed?"

"I did," he nodded. "Its hard to take my attention away from the most beautiful woman in the room."

"Oh stop it you," I nudged him lightly, earning me a small grin.

"It's the truth. Also, it was quite cute of you to try to make me jealous."

My jaw dropped. "I did no such thing!"

"No? You didn't move your hair aside and turn your exposed back to me?"

"I did-"

"Well, there you go."

"I didn't do it to make you jealous," I frowned.

"You're still in denial, baby," and he tapped my nose.

"What the-? Hey, you were the one staring me down so hard, that I felt it! It was like someone had a laser pointed at me!"