30

I got out of the car and hid so that Payal and Akash wouldn't see me, while Arnav remained in the car.

"What the-?" He stared at me, confused. He got out of the car and came behind me and tapped my shoulder. "What are you-?"

"Ssh! They might hear us," I whispered.

I turned back to look at the two. They were talking and laughing.

I wonder what they're talking about.

The two hugged each other and then he kissed Payal on the cheek.

Wait, what?!

I stared wide eyed in shock. Arnav looked surprised as well, but it quickly went away.

There is no way this is happening!

Akash drove away in his car and Payal went inside all bubbly and giddy. I couldn't believe what I just saw!

"Pinch me," I said.

Arnav pinched my arm and I snapped back to reality.

"Ouch! That hurt!"

"What? You said too," he said innocently.

I shook my head and got up.

I still can't believe what just happened.

"My best friend... and your cousin?"

"I know right," Arnav said, moving next to me.

I shook my head. "I'll get it out of her... one way or another."

"Hmm...."

He put his hands on my waist and pulled me in. I looked up at him. He brought a hand up to my cheek, caressed it, and kissed me. When we let go, I bit my lip, and he stroked my cheek with his thumb.

Once we bid our farewells, he left.

I went straight upstairs to my room, undressed and got into my pjs. Spending all day with Arnav, I didn't even realize how late it had gotten.

After I settled down, I sat in bed under my duvet and called Payal.

"Hey Khushi! What's up," she asked.

"Oh, nothing much," I said. "So, what did you do after you left?"

"Oh, nothing much."

I could hear the hesitation in her voice, so I decided to pressure her.

"Really? I thought it would be something important, like meeting up with someone important. After all, you never leave like that. It was just weird."

"No, I don't think so."

"Oh, but I do. Tell me Payal, what's up," I said, pressuring her.

Payal hesitated for a moment more. "Ugh! Fine," she said, giving in. "I was out with... this guy...?"

"Oh? Is that so?"

"Yeah... you know Arnav's cousin... Akash?"

"Yeah...?"

"Well we saw each other at the party and... we talked... and well... it just... happened?"

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah.... And what I meant is that we met before at the other party, you know the one when his entire family came?"

My eyes widened. "Wait, don't tell me..."

"That we got together then?"

"Are you serious? How did that even happen?!"

"It's a long story and I promise I'll tell you another time. Right now, he's calling me and I promise I'll tell you tomorrow."

"I have work tomorrow and I won't be free till next week or something so this story of yours better be good!"

"Yes! Okay Khushi, I promise! Can I hang up now?"

"Sure."

She hung up the phone immediately and I put my phone on charge- well, about to put it on charge. My phone buzzed and I picked up, not bothering to see who it was.

"Hello."

No one spoke.

"Hello?"

No answer.

"Hello?!"

Once again, no answer.

"HELLO?! Look man! If you're not going to talk then why call? Idiot!"

I was about to hang up when I heard the person speak. "Ouch."

I stayed quiet.

"You know, last time you said almost the same thing too, you know."

My eyes widened as I recognized the voice. "Arnavji...."

"Yeah, who did you think it was?"

I gulped. How did he get my number? And... wait a minute! "What do you mean by last time?"

Then I remembered. "That was you?"

"Uh huh."

I hesitated a little bit. "Well... speak next time when you call... okay?"

"Sure. So, what are you doing?"

"Nothing, you?"

"Nothing. Find anything out yet?"

"Yeah, I did. Turns out this has been going on since the other party, you know the one when your whole family came?"

"Really?"

"Yeah. She said she'll tell me the whole story, but whatever. I'll see her next week or something and then I'll find out."

"Okay...."

I sighed and plopped back onto my bed. "This isn't why you called, right?"

"No, not really. I just wanted to hear your voice."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

I blushed.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said. "Good night."

"Good night."

"I love you."

My eyes widened. I know this isn't the first time he's said it but... my heart would still jump as if it were electrocuted. 

I was about to reply when Amma came barging in.

"What are you doing awake," she yelled.

"Um-"

"Don't you have work tomorrow? If you go late to work tomorrow, don't you think you might get punished by your boss?"

I shut my eyes, embarrassed, especially by the fact that Arnav was hearing all of this.

"Hurry up and go to sleep!"

She left my room and closed the door behind her.

"She's right you know," I heard him say

"What," I said, my attention turning back to him.

"You should be punished."

"For what? For talking to my boss on the phone?"

"Boss-slash-boyfriend you mean."

I blushed extremely. I couldn't believe he said that.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said, and he hung up the phone.

That night, I slept peacefully and happy, my heart feeling whole.