36

After what happened between me and Arnav, I felt soulless. I felt hollow and empty. I had lost all of my emotions. Just like that, the wedding had been planned out, Amma so ecstatic. And since everything had become a blur for me, I had never realized the days passing me by, and it being the day of the wedding. But from the bits and pieces I had gathered, everything was being rushed because Viren had to get back to the UK the day after our wedding.

I remained motionless all day, just like every other day, absolutely depressed. Memories of Arnav and I were all that I could think of these days: the talks, the laughs, the connection we had... he had become a part of me, my heart – my life... and now...

Now I was nothing.

It was the night of my wedding and Amma helped me get ready. Payal's mom had come in to help as well, and when I had asked her where Payal was, she told me that Payal had felt sick. I didn't say anything more - I knew the real reason was for her not being here, and honestly, I couldn't blame her.

After Amma and Auntyji got me ready, Babuji came in and asked them to leave to talk to me. They left and shut the door behind them.

I looked down at the floor and Babuji looked at me. "How did my little girl grow up so fast," he said softly.

I continued to look down.

"And since when did my daughter begin to hide everything and not care one bit for herself?"

I looked up at Babuji, confused.

"I've noticed your actions these past few days Khushi," he said. He sat down on my bed and had me sit down next to him. "What is it Khushi, what's wrong? Why do you look so empty and washed out? It's like as if all of your happiness was sucked away from you."

I couldn't stop myself, my eyes filling with tears, and I hugged Babuji, crying. I couldn't remember the last time I cried like this to Babuji. Even he was stunned by my sudden actions/

He lifted my face and wiped my tears away. "Now tell me sweet pea, what's wrong?"

Nothing could stop me as I told him about mine and Arnav's relationship. I told Babuji that without him, I was nothing - that without him my life was nothing. And that after Arnav had found out about my marriage to Viren, he hated me, and I don't know what how I'll ever get over that.

Babuji was shocked and couldn't believe what he was hearing. He stood up, surprised, and looked away from me.

"Babuji I'm sorry I never told you guys but... but I didn't know how to tell you guys! Please Babuji forgive me, please!"

Babuji didn't say anything.

"Please Babuji," I said. "If you don't, I'll break even more."

He turned to face me and hugged me as I cried into his sleeve. He let go and wiped my tears. "Khushi, do you realize the mistake you made," he asked. "I get that you've kept things from us before but.... So many people can get affected by this." He shook his head and then looked at me. "I don't know what to do baby girl... I guess you'll just have to get married to Viren."

I looked at Babuji. I couldn't, I just couldn't get married to Viren. I never even felt that way about Viren. But at this rate....

I shut my eyes and took a deep breath. It was better to not say anything and let what was about to happen, happen. I wiped my tears away, took deep breaths and looked at Babuji. He kissed my forehead and gave me a few minutes to get myself together.

Taking in a few more deep breaths, I fixed myself up, and then went to Babuji. He guided me to the stairs, and we stood there. Everyone looked at me and I felt nervous. I had dreamt about my wedding before, but to think that it would be like this....

We were about to go downstairs when someone yelled stop. I looked up and everyone turned in shock

What is Viren doing?