98

It took a few moments before I could recover and get over all of the blushing. Instead of facing any of the ladies, I quickly dived right into work, hoping no one would say anything.

But of course, Payal can never keep her mouth shut.

"For real Khushi, is Bhai giving lessons," she asked.

I frowned at her.

"Seriously, I mean that dip though! Right," she grinned, turning to Dai and Di.

"I'll say," Dai replied, and my cheeks heated.

"Although I have to say," Di said, smiling softly as she gazed off, "seeing Chote like this... sometimes I can't help but wonder if this is the very same Chote that was always harsh and cold... so stoic."

Dai hummed in agreement. "He definitely isn't the same Chote from all those years ago - well, in some ways he is, but otherwise, no. Now he knows how to love, and its all because of you," Dai smiled, and she gave me a hug, kissing the top of my head.

"I really didn't do anything," I smiled humbly.

"Oh, but you have Khushi. Chote now.... Do I think he'd do the same things as he had in the past? Yes; but he has a part of him that's softer now."

"I agree," Di said. "One of the harshest things he's ever done was steal our old home from our Chacha and toss him to the streets, literally."

My eyes slightly widened. I obviously knew Arnav had taken the roof away from his chacha, but the fact that he had literally thrown the man onto the streets....

He did exactly what the man had done to him and his sisters - and I knew he wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

And Dai and Di knew it as well.

"If that had happened today," Di continued, "with you in his life, he would've tossed him onto the streets and then come home to you, doting all over you."

"That sounds more frightening than weird," Payal frowned.

"Because it is," Dai said. "We've seen it for years; we know his anger and his anger towards the world. But the fact that it all comes sizzling down as soon as he's with Khushi.... The fact that he can be all smiles and stuff... that's all I want - to forget the bad and remember the good."

"Me too," Di smiled softly. "You balance him Khushi. Thank you."

"I didn't do anything," I nearly whispered.

"But you did, simply by falling in love with him," Dai smiled.

"More like bumping and falling, but yeah, pretty much that," Payal grinned.

My pointed glare met her eyes and she gave me a toothy grin.

She'll never change.

*~*

It was almost around 6 when the family was preparing to go the party, Arnav still not home yet.

"Where did you send Bhai," Payal asked me.

We were both sitting in the family room, Payal ready and set to go since Akash had made her start getting ready hours ago, the girl always taking so much time to get ready.

Some things never change.

"Honestly, I didn't have that many tasks for him to do, just some basic errands. The last one however is the longest because it involves him going to my parents' place."

"No," she gasped.

"Yes," I grinned in return. "Which means Amma has been going crazy over him for the past few hours and Babuji is probably laughing along."

"She's probably still feeding him," Payal said, going into thought as she pictured it.

"Oh she is," and I showed her my phone, showing the picture my father had sent me.

Poor Arnav was looking at the pile of puris in front of him in complete shock and fear, and Amma looked over the moon!

"Okay 1: poor Bhai, he looks terrified! 2: it still amazes me that your dad knows how to text, so a picture is more shocking. 3: I can only imagine how happy your mom is given, well...."

I understood, letting out a sigh. "Yeah, I know," I said softly, looking at the picture again.

Payal placed her hand on my shoulder, giving me a small smile. "Anywho, what are your birthday plans?"

I pursed my lips. "You really want to know?"

"Khushi, please, this isn't the time for rhetorical questions," she frowned, rolling her eyes.

I couldn't help my grin. "Follow me," and I grabbed her arm and took her upstairs with me.

We entered my room and I shut the door behind me.

"Is it safe to sit on the bed-? Is that a wet spot," Payal smirked as she pointed at my bed.

I rolled my eyes. "Haha, very funny," and she chuckled in return, sitting down on the bed. 

"Okay, now show me already! Closing doors and all this secrecy is getting to me," she squealed.

Making my way to the wardrobe, I opened it up and retrieved a bag.

"Wait, didn't you get that today?"

I nodded; while Arnav had been out and getting stuffed up with a few pounds by my mother, I had made a quick trip to pick up a few things, this bag containing one of those things.

Reaching in, I pulled out the contents, shocking Payal.

"Who are you and where is Khushi Kumari Gupta?"

Replacing the contents back into the bag, I crossed my arms. "She's been replaced by Khushi Singh Raizada," I smirked.