86

It was almost midnight, but I couldn't get myself to care, even as I came in home late. Everyone had to have been in bed by now, and honestly, I preferred it that way. After the numerous phone calls I had ignored, I knew I would be getting some words for it, but I just would not have been able to deal with it right now. All I wanted now was some peace and sleep.

When I entered our room, I saw Arnav lying down in bed. He had his arm covering his eyes and when I came in he looked at me and then covered his eyes again. I was about to take my jacket off when I saw the calendar.

No way, it couldn't be. I looked away, thinking it over. Is it really...?

I looked over at Arnav and he remained in his position, his chest rising and falling slowly as he breathed. Taking off my jacket, I tossed it aside onto that stupid lounger of his, the zipper hitting his laptop slightly.

It was bad enough of what was going on earlier, and now this? I was way too stressed, so I didn't bother to change. Instead I turned the lights off and, laid down in bed, facing my back to Arnav.

There were only a few minutes left till twelve. I kept staring at the clock as the red digits glared at me. I started to count time in my head.

11:57

I felt my heart race up.

11:58

I shut my eyes and gulped.

11:59

He doesn't remember.

45 seconds to go...

Why would he remember?

30 seconds to go...

Does he even remember?

15 seconds...

He probably doesn't.

10 seconds...

I feel bad about what happened earlier.

5 seconds...

I didn't mean what I said.

4... 3 seconds...

I'm sorry.

2 seconds...

My lips trembled.

1 second...

I love you.

12:00 AM

"I love you," Arnav said, wrapping his arm around my waist as he kissed me on the cheek.

My eyes popped open. He remembers?!

I turned and looked over at him wide eyed as he caressed my cheek. One look at his eyes and I knew – he did remember our anniversary! He really, truly did!

I wrapped my arms around him as he buried his face in the crook of my neck. Tears threatened to pour and because I didn't care, I let them stream free. Arnav slightly pulled back and shook his head, wiping away tears.

"Please don't cry baby," he said softly.

Baby... when was the last time he called me that?

I could feel a lump growing in my throat as more tears threatened to fall. Arnav shook his head once more and my lips trembled, a sob threatening to escape. He hugged me once more, holding me securely as he buried his face in my neck once more. Even I tightened my hold, gripping onto his shoulders.