62

Arnav went in first and I followed from behind. Everyone was talking as we were coming in, but as soon as we entered the room, they hushed down. They looked at us and my nerves scattered.

Did Anjali say something?

Kalavati came up to me and walked around me. I looked down at the floor. She stopped in front of me and crossed her arms. She sucked in her left cheek and looked at me. I felt so uncomfortable I felt like I just might have explode!

"So, what do you think Nani," she finally said.

Nani came towards me and looked at me.

"I don't know, betiyan."

She began to walk around me, and I wanted to run out so badly. I felt so uncomfortable and I didn't like the fact they were doing this to me. It's torture!

"I think she could be better. You know, in looks. I just don't understand how our Chote is so interested in her. She's plain and not special."

I peeked up at Arnav. He was giving Nani his what the look with a mix of anger. I knew he was about to say something, and just as I was about to stop him, he beat me to it.

"What the hell are you saying Nani?"

She furrowed her eyebrows and so did I – he should not be talking to her like that, whatsoever! Arnav continued on.

"Khushi is special in every way. She's not just plain or ordinary or whatever!"

He came towards me and held my hand and I looked at him, surprised by his actions.

"If Khushi is anything," he continued, "then she's spectacular. She's extraordinary. She has amazing talent. She's kind and sweet and she cares a lot about the ones she loves."

He turned and held my face in his hands. I was shocked and I froze.

"And she cares especially for me."

I looked into his eyes. I couldn't believe he was talking back to Nani over me. I held his hands and shook my head. He understood what I was trying to say but he went ahead anyways.

"Nani you asked why I have so much interest in her right?"

Nani lifted her head a bit, arching her eyebrow as if she were very interested to know. There was a look in her eyes that I didn't fully understand, as well as in Kalavati's.

"Well I don't just have interest in her Nani... I love her."

Everyone stared wide eyed at him. They couldn't believe what he had just said. Payal's parents just stared. Amma's mouth had dropped, hitting the floor as she gaped at him. Babuji folded his arms and had a straight face. Nani and Akash's parents gaped at Arnav.

Kalavati and Anjali were shocked. They couldn't register what had just happened. They were plain shocked! They couldn't believe what their brother had just said, and given what I knew about Arnav, I could understand why. I wasn't just a girl in his life – I was the woman he loved, which was something he had never done, nor believed in before.

While everyone stared at him in shock I looked at him with surprise. I couldn't believe the guts he had. How he could just say it like that in front of everybody?

"I love her and without her my life is meaningless."

I thought I would have melted right there. I couldn't believe he just said that. His family looked at him like he was a whole other person - like he was some guy that they had never met before.

Arnav looked at me and pulled me into his arms, and I held onto his.

"And if anyone has a problem with that," he continued, "then they better deal with it."

He released me and walked away. Everyone, including me, watched him as he left. I couldn't believe any of this had just happened.

This must be a bad dream!

But it wasn't!

Everyone turned to look at me. I glanced at them, then looked away. I was heating up and I felt my cheeks go red. What should a girl do in this situation? Well this girl ran right out of the house. I just couldn't take the staring anymore! I just had to get out!

~

50 stars for the next update!