18

The party was dated to be on the Saturday night coming up, which gave me enough time to plan on an outfit. I don't even get why I'm even doing this in the first place but oh well. Payal was really curious on what I was doing but I didn't tell her anything. I was going to surprise her.

That night Amma and Babuji went out to go see an old friend - perfect.

Payal was waiting for me to hurry up so we could go already. There was a car waiting for us when I came out.

"Whoa! Are you Khushi Kumari Gupta or an evil twin," Payal gasped.

"Didn't you already say that once before," I chuckled.

"Yeah, so what? I can't repeat myself," she laughed and looked at my outfit. "Wow Khushi you clean up good."

"I believe it's well."

"Oh, hush it."

We got into the car and left. The ball was at a really big hall. Just to look at the ceiling you'd have to bend back a little to get a full view of it. We arrived and there were many familiar faces from the previous party.

"Ah, it's Khushi, the lovely lady who danced at the previous party."

I turned to the voice. "Oh Mr. Kumar it's you. How are you?"

He smiled. "I'm fine. How's work? I heard Arnav hasn't been to the office in a while."

My mood went down somewhat. I don't know why, but it did. My heart had pitted but my mind felt the urge to make me roll my eyes. It believed that all of what had happened at the last party was complete crap and that Arnav was nothing more than a fuck boy, playing with my emotions. Otherwise what kind of guy says he loves you, then disappears on you, to see you once, tease you, then disappear again? A fuck boy, that's who.

Wait, why am I getting so heated?

"Hey look! Mr. Raizada's family has arrived," someone exclaimed.

Oh, so he was going to be here.

Everybody ran towards the entrance to see them.

Payal came next to me. "What do you think? Is his family like him or not?"

"Who knows."

We watched as everyone crowded around when an elderly woman came in first. She looked beautiful in her sari. Behind her was a man and his wife, who was drastically overdressed. Then came a guy who I had seen several times before in the office. He would go to meetings in other cities for Arnav.

The last group came in and it bothered me. In came Arnav, dressed up so handsome I couldn't help myself but to stare. He noticed me and looked at me, giving me a small smirk, when two women came from behind him, each standing next to him. They linked their arms with his and they walked towards us.

I couldn't believe it. What is it with this man? I felt my heart cave in more and no matter how hard my mind tried to cajole it, it only worsened. For the slightest second, I felt tears threaten to form in my eyes.

Arnav looked at me as he walked by with them and then looked forward. They came to the center of the room and stood there. Arnav looked at me again and I frowned, turning away to face Payal. I brought my hair all to one side and put in front of my shoulder, exposing my back. I had worn a white, backless outfit, although I don't know what had forced me into wearing this.

I could feel Arnav staring at me. It was as if someone had a laser pointed at me.

"So, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada," a camera man asked, "is it true you haven't been to work for a while?

He didn't look at the man and responded. "Yeah, it's true. Thought I'd take some time off for myself."

Time to himself? As if, I thought grouchily.

"Mrs. Kalavati Anand and Mrs. Anjali Jha, how does it feel being the sisters of such a successful man?

What? I turned around immediately. You must be joking?

"We're just lucky we have such a good brother," one of them said.

"That's all we could ever ask for," the other said.

I couldn't believe it! They're siblings? And here I was worrying ab- wait a minute! Why am I worrying?!

Arnav noticed that I was dumbfounded and looked at me. I put up a confident look and turned away.

This doesn't change a thing, nor explain anything.

"So, Mrs. Kalavati, will you and your sister dance once again this year?"

The two laughed. "We don't know for sure, but it wouldn't hurt," she replied.

Kalavati was gorgeous. She was a nice shade of tan and her hair was long and was flowing, as if she were the desi Rapunzel. Anjali was paler than Kalavati but she was still gorgeous. Her hair was a little past her shoulder and she looked like a little girl.

I snapped back to reality when Mr. Kumar said "well there's another dancer here also, you know."

Huh? What was he doing?

He pointed at me and everyone turned to look. I was in the most awkward position ever! I felt very uncomfortable and was fighting with my hands. Then Kalavati spoke.

"Is that so?"

"Yes betiyan, she's the one who performed at your brother's previous party."

I felt so awkward. What was sir doing?!

"Oh wow," said Anjali. "Wait don't you also work for my brother too?"

"Yeah," I said lamely.

"Well how about this then," Kalavati said. "How about a little competition?"

I looked at the woman carefully, and then to her brother, and then back at her. Like brother, like sister. My gosh what similarities they had.

"So, what do you think?"

"Um...?"

What am I supposed to say? This was so awkward! Arnav was just watching this and enjoyed every moment of it.

"Wait a minute," said Payal. "It's not fair! There's the two of you and she's on her own. I'm joining her just to make things fair."

"No problem. So," she looked back at me, "are you up for the challenge?"

I was confused. What to do, what to do?

I looked at Arnav who had a smug smirk on his face, looking at me.

Jerk-wad!

He's being arrogant and... ugh!

I looked at Kalavati. "Choose the song."