109

Amma was annoyed with me, that much was obvious, but hey - if I was getting the chance to annoy Arnav around his in-laws the way he does to me around mine, well it's quite obvious I was going to take it. And I repeatedly took it, messing with Arnav the entire week we stayed at my parents. Babuji would just laugh while Amma would scowl and yell at me, and it was all just so funny. I would pay the price at night when Arnav would get a hold of me, but I didn't mind one bit.

Our trip to my parents place had come to an end and it just absolutely sucked. I had so quickly become so used to my childhood home, as if I had never left it for my husband's home. I cried in Amma's arms, hard as I tried not to. Even Arnav comforted me, promising that we would make trips here more often.

I was going to make sure he kept his word - especially since it would mean more cooking from Arnav.

When we arrived home, everyone greeted us, having missed us. There was a sense of comfort being around them again, something I hadn't felt in a moment. It wasn't that I didn't feel comfort at my parents' place, no not at all - but it was a different type of comfort that just couldn't be explained.

Payal and Akash came home later that same day, and Akash was instantly teased. While my poor devar fussed, telling us of the massive amount of food Payal's mom had fed him, my husband proudly told the family that everything had gone great, that I had been totally relaxed and that he hadn't bothered me whatsoever, and how he had cooked most of the days we were there.

And let me tell you, when the family gaped at him at shock, it was so silent, you could probably hear a pin drop.

Yeah - that quiet.

"What," my husband questioned as he scowled.

"Not what, Chote. What the," Di exclaimed.

"See," I exclaimed. "I told you there's reason to be stunned by your cooking."

Arnav rolled his eyes. "Khushi, you already knew cause I told you when we were dating. And the rest of you, stop overreacting; you're acting as if I didn't spend years abroad in Harvard, living on my own," he scowled.

Dai shook her head from side to side. "True...." And she looked at me. "Khushi, I think it's time we bring your plan to action."

"Plan? What plan," my husband asked.

But the two of us only smirked at each other, Dai looking rather mischievous as she rubbed her hands together.

"Hey, I want to be a part of the devious plan too," Payal pouted.

"Me too," Di said.

"Oh don't worry ladies," Dai smirked. "You all will know very soon."

Everyone else looked at us in confusion, especially Arnav and Jeeju when Dai and I started smirking at our spouses.

Arnav and Jeeju glanced at each other before looking back at us.

Oh yeah! The game is totally on!

*~*

Later that night, before dinner, Dai and I gathered all of the ladies together. We told them of our plan, and everyone was totally onboard, especially Nani! With everything set, we made our way to the dining room, setting up dinner. Once everything was complete, we waited for the gents to arrive and watched as they took their seat. However when they saw us ladies still standing, they looked at us in confusion.

"Is everything alright," Arnav asked.

I looked from him to Dai and nodded, and she nodded as well.

"Everything's just fine, Chote," Dai said. "We just happen to have an idea."

"An idea," Jeeju questioned.

"Mm hmm; well actually, Khushi thought of it first, so she's the mastermind."

"Well, yes, that's actually true," I shrugged lightly with a timid smile.

"And this idea is what, exactly," Arnav asked.

I looked at Nani. "Nani, if you would please, as the eldest in the family."

"Of course," she smiled. "You see, every day, we ladies wake up early in the morning so that we can get breakfast ready, help get the day started, get the children ready, spouses ready, and be prepared for the day. We work, we cook, we clean - we do many things. Then the men come home from work, they are tended to, dinner is served, and then it's time to say good night, go to sleep, and repeat."

Arnav, Akash, Jeeju, Jij, and Mama all looked at us in complete confusion while Nishan and Rani simply drooled around their hands.

"After Khushi betiyan got to witness Chote's hidden skills, so to say, an idea came to mind - why not reverse the rules for once?"

All of the mens' eyes widened.

"Meaning," Jij asked.

"Meaning you will be taking our place," Di grinned.

Akash's eyes widened. "Huh?"

"And we take yours," Payal beamed.

All of the men looked at each other before looking back at us.

"Fortunately, tomorrow's Saturday and since everyone is usually home on Saturdays, we ladies will be as well."

"And will be able to prevent any chances of the house being burnt down," Mami chuckled.

"So, what do we say? Challenge accepted," Nani asked.

While the other men looked at each other in worry, my husband remained confident.

"Sure," he simply said.

I arched my brow at him. "Really?"

"Why not," he shrugged. "I did just spend the last few days treating you, Amma, and Babuji."

"This isn't just about making lunch for everyone, Arnav. It's everything - from the moment we wake up to when we go to bed at night, all of those responsibilities."

"Okay, yeah, sure."

I looked at the other ladies, mocking how impressed I was.

"Okay, if you say so," I shrugged.

"What about the rest of you," Dai asked.

Unlike Arnav, the other men fussed a little. I mean I can get why Jeeju and Jij were - they'd have to take on the responsibilities of their kids the way their wives did. But in the end, all of them agreed.

Nani clapped her hands together. "Ah! This is going to be so much fun."

I glanced at Arnav, who was already looking at me.

"Oh, it definitely will be," I smirked.

And I cannot wait!