22

There was a conference the following day that I needed to attend. I rushed into the office, having run late no thanks to traffic, when Rita came up to me.

"Ma'am, the conference-"

"Yeah I know, I'll be there in a minute," I called back as I dashed past her.

I headed upstairs to my room to get a few things, then went back down and went into the conference room... to see that no one was there.

Huh?

"Um... ma'am?"

I turned and saw Rita.

"Uh, ma'am, the conference was canceled."

"What?"

"Yeah, um, sir called and told me to tell you."

"What? Why couldn't he tell me himself?!"

"Um... I don't know ma'am...."

She left and I stood there motionless.

What is up with that man?! Why can't he just tell me?

Shaking my head, I left and stormed up to my room, placing my forehead in my hands as I sat down at my desk.

Why didn't he... what-?

I noticed something move from the corner of my eyes and looked up to his room - there was someone there. They had just walked out of the room, so I got up and moved to see who it was. Since the office was completely open, you could see everything from up here; same thing in Arnav's room.

I looked down and saw that it was Arnavji.

What's he doing here?

Arnavji walked out of the office. Once again he left me dumbfounded.

Honestly what is it with this guy?

I sat back down and went back to work, or at least, I tried to.

Later in the day, after I was done with work, I called up Payal and asked her if she could hang out at the mall, but she said she was busy. I went anyways, wanting some time for myself. I bought a few things and then went to the top floor to relax. I sat down to catch my breath and grab a bite, when I noticed something, or rather, someone.

There, only a few booths away, was Payal and Arnavji.

What in the world-?

I couldn't finish my thought, the shock kicking in. There she was, my best friend, with the man who I couldn't stand due to the confusion he caused me. I watched them carefully, hiding myself with my shopping bags so that they wouldn't see me. Peering over, I saw that Payal was laughing at something Arnav had said.

Huh? You can't be serious!

Payal continued to laugh, twirling her hair.

You're kidding me right?

I was about to go over there when I decided I should call her instead. If she told me the truth, fine, but if she lied....

"Hello?"

"Hey Payal."

"Oh, hey Khushi! What's up?"

"Nothing much, catching a breather."

"Where you at?"

"The mall, like I said earlier."

"Oh, cool."

"So, what are you doing?"

"Nothing... just chilling."

"Oh... okay." That's it? Technically she's not lying... technically.

"Why, what is it?"

"Oh nothing," I lied. "I got bored, so I called."

"Oh. Well, okay. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and I watched them. Payal started to laugh again.

Unbelievable! What kind of a friend is she?

Aggravated, I grabbed my things and passed by them hurriedly, making it seem like I didn't see them. When I got home, I crashed down on my bed. I couldn't help but to think about what had just happened. I mean seriously, Payal of all people with that guy?! I just couldn't believe it!

An hour later Payal came over.

"Sorry yaar I couldn't go shopping with you."

"No, it's okay Payal. I'm sure you were doing something important," I said pointedly.

"Yeah...."

We sat there awkwardly, and I was so mad at her! I wanted to say something, but I didn't, trying to keep my cool.

"So..." Payal began.

"So?"

"I don't know," she shrugged casually.

This was the first time something like this was happening. Normally Payal was always bubbly and we were always doing something, but today... it was just plain awkward.

"Oh, I just remembered," I began, "I have some important work to do for the office."

"Really?"

"Yeah, you know how Arnavji left me in charge, so yeah, I have a lot of work to do."

"Okay," she simply said. "I'll catch up with you later," and she got up and left.

I shook my head. Unbelievable!

I did some work, but I couldn't focus. What I saw at the mall kept coming to my mind, and it was driving me insane!

I wonder what they were talking about that made Payal laugh like that...?

Forget that, why was she even there with him in the fucking first place?!

I was flustered. Whenever I was in a bad mood like this, there was only one place I would go to. So I got up and changed into a pair of skinny jeans and an off-the-shoulder shirt. I tied my hair up to a tight bun, put a scarf around my neck and I put on my navy blue converse, then headed outside.

"Hey!"

I turned around and looked up. It was Payal on her balcony.

"Where you going," she asked.

"To the arcade," and I turned around and left.

*~*

Oh no, Payal thought.

She knew what this meant. She knew Khushi very well enough to know that Khushi only went to the arcade when she was very mad. Payal quickly got ready and rushed after Khushi. As she ran, she took her phone out of her bag to make a quick call.

"Hello? Get to the arcade - now!"