42

It had been a few weeks since the club-incident and tonight was the night of Kalavati's party. I wore a red sari, thinking it was time that I wore one, since Amma kept complaining on how she kept buying saris for me and that I would never wear them.

Payal and I went together and both of us were nervous: Payal was nervous because she was afraid of Akash's mother, and I was nervous because I kept thinking about Arnav's evil layer.

He probably has evil minions or something.

When we arrived, I couldn't stop staring - Arnav's home- sorry, mansion, was amazing!

But what if that was to hide the evil within?

We walked in and the both of us simply stared.

Holy sheeiz!

It was just so beautiful, and definitely not evil.

"Welcome to our home," a voice said.

We turned to it and recognized her immediately. It was Anjali.

"Come in," she smiled.

Anjali looked absolutely gorgeous and her smile was so bubbly.

She escorted us in, and she took us to the rest of her family.

Oh no.

"Nani," she said to the elder lady, who I recognized from the other party. "This is Khushi, she works at Chote's office."

Chote? Who's that?

Nani turned around and smiled. "Oh yes," she said. "I remember you. You danced beautifully and gracefully that night with you friend."

She looked at Payal, and Anjali introduced her as Akash's friend.

We stood there and talked when Anjali's husband, Shyam, joined us. We continued to talk and then Akash joined us. The conversation continued and soon, his parents came.

It felt weird talking to them like this. It was as if we knew each other for a long time. The conversation went swiftly and not once was it awkward, except for some of the remarks Akash's mother made. The thing is, she's trying to be... how do I put this... modern?

We continued to talk when Kalavati joined us with her husband, Kishore, and her newborn son.

"Ah, hello Khushi," Kalavati said. "I was so happy when I knew you were coming! And thank you Payal, also, for coming."

We both smiled and I asked to carry the baby. He was so cute, and I loved messing with him. I gave him to Payal when I noticed Arnav. He looked absolutely handsome, but I looked away. I knew I had to resist. When I looked back up, he was gone.

Oh well. Who cares!

Payal passed the baby back to Kalavati. He woke up and began to cry.

"Oh, why is chote saab crying," Kalavati cooed at the baby.

She rocked him a bit and he calmed down.

"Chote saab has stopped crying," Anjali said, "but where's our Chote?"

I still couldn't figure out who she's referring too. Anjali was about to say something when a man asked the family for a family picture. So, she asked me to get him, whoever that is. She told me the way and I followed her directions, going up the stairs and down the halls.

I walked through the house and went to the poolside that Anjali mentioned. According to her, this Chote guy's room was right there. I looked inside the room and realized that her Chote was none other than the man I wanted to avoid all night.