17

The next day when I went to work, I was nervous, curious to know if Arnavji had come to the office. And by holy divine, thank goodness he wasn't there.

I don't know how I'd face him.

Days went by, more than a week now. I was at the office and the day went by, and I finished my work fast. I had nothing left to do. I would have gone home but there was a conference to attend to in a half hour. I put everything down and looked up, staring into Arnavji's room.

Wow. Without him in there, it just seems so empty.... Wait a minute, why am I thinking of that jerk?! Wait, why did I call him a jerk? Because he left...?

I looked away and grabbed my phone to talk to Payal.

"Hey Khushi, what's up?"

"Nothing much, I'm bored."

"Oh? Did your love show up?"

"No, he didn't and he's not my love; I believe I tried to explain this to you."

"D-" She didn't continue. "Alright Khushi, whatever you say."

We continued to talk about other things until it was time for the conference. I went to the conference room and did I get mad or what! The deal that the company was about to make was an annual thing and it always decreased profits.

There is no way this deal is happening. Sorry, wrong number, NOT happening.

When the meeting ended, I got up and walked out of the room. I headed back to my room to get my things, then left.

My gosh, you own a company, but you don't know what to do with it? What a shame.

I got home and my mom came into my room. She had something behind her hands and an odd look on her face.

"Khushi?"

"Yes Amma?"

"This came for you in the mail."

"What is it?"

Amma shrugged and I took the envelope. Opening it, I understood why she had the look on her face - because the envelope was red with my name in a nice cursive handwriting

Really mom, you of all people would think it's a love letter?

I opened up the envelope and took out what was inside and looked at it.

"Oh... it's from the office."

"Oh...."

With that, she walked away. I shook my head and was about to read the letter when Payal came in.

"Hey Khushi! Can you tell me why I got a letter from your office?"

What?

I looked at the letter, that was also in a red envelope.

"I got the same thing. Did you read it?"

"No, I just checked my mail and found this."

Huh... weird.

I opened up my letter.

"Dear Khushi Kumari Gupta," I read. "You are cordially invited to the Raizada Annual Ball."

I looked up at Payal.

"Oh my," I gasped.

"Oh my is right Khushi. But why am I being invited," she asked as she looked at me with confusion.

"It's pretty obvious - he thought of it carefully and invited the both of us."

The man was something else, and by the minute, I was becoming more and more confused. He kissed me and confessed his feelings for me, but now he's hiding from me? Not facing me? And now, he's inviting my best friend and I to his annual ball?

Is this all a game to him? Is that what it is?

I looked at the letter.

Fine then Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada, you wanna play? I'll play back.