15

"No. Way," Payal shrieked after I told her what had happened.

I nodded, still completely shocked myself.

"Are you serious? You're not messing with me are you?"

"Nope, every bit I told you is true."

"I can't believe it! My friend has her first kiss with this guy, and I'm blowing my head off in the bathroom!"

"Sorry Payal, I just didn't want to go back to my room after what happened."

Payal looked at me. "So, what happens now?"

"I... I don't know."

I turned towards the sink and put my hands down on it. I looked up at my reflection in the mirror and stared at my reflection.

I can't do this.

"Payal?"

"Yeah?"

She moved towards me and looked at my reflection, and I looked back at hers.

"I don't think I can face him," the reality of it all syncing in. "I wasn't thinking at all about what was going on, and everything just slipped out, and-"

Payal put a hand on my shoulder. "Calm down Khushi, it's okay," she said lightly. "So, a few thing slipped out - but you have to stay strong. You might think of this as a mistake but what do you think he thinks?"

"I don't know what to think and who to think for," I cried.

"Well whatever happens, I'm here for you."

I gave my best friend a tight hug, relaxed, and took deep breaths. We both went back to the party and I just hoped that I wouldn't have to face him.

However, when we came back out, he was nowhere to be seen. I sighed in relief.

The party continued and then the guests slowly began to leave. Payal and I waited for all of the guests to leave, and then we went to get our stuff. All the while, something just didn't seem right.

"Payal?"

"Yeah?"

"Something's up."

"What do you mean?"

"Ever since you and I came back to the party, I haven't seen him anywhere."

"Hmm... now that you mention it, neither did I."

We both were puzzled when his secretary came up to us.

"I hope you enjoyed yourself ma'am," Rita smiled.

Payal and I looked at each other. Oh, it was something alright.

"Everyone has already left except for you two. It's my responsibility to make sure everything gets cleaned-"

"Wait, everyone left?"

"Yes ma'am. The guests, co-workers - even sir himself left."

What? "When?"

"Quite a long time now."

Her phone rang and she excused herself.

"Wait," Payal began. "So that means that all this time, he was gone?"

"I guess so... but I wonder why."