41

Since Payal didn't want to depart from Akash yet, they decided that we should all go to the studio for an afterparty. That irked me since it meant that I'd still have to see his face. The good thing was that Viren was around, so it wouldn't be awkward.

When we got there, Payal and Akash kept to themselves, Arnav went by the window and looked out, while I showed Viren the secret of my glory.

"This place is amazing," Viren said.

"Tell me something I don't know," I grinned.

He walked around. "So how about we dance?"

"Sure, why not?"

I plugged the speakers to my iPhone and put my music up loud. Instead of club-dancing we did choreographed-dancing. We danced to old songs that we had danced to at competitions, functions, etc.

We continued to dance when my phone went off. I looked at the screen and it was from home. I stopped the music and picked it up.

"Hello," I said.

"Khushi." It was Babuji. "Where are you?"

"I'm with Payal, why? Is something wrong?"

"No, everything's alright. I was just calling to check on you."

"Oh Babuji," I said, walking over to the window. I have this habit of going near the window and talking for a long time now, but of course today I got interrupted because Arnav was standing in my way.

Before I even realized it I walked right into him. He caught me and held me as we looked at each other.

Why does this keep happening?

"Hello? Khushi?"

I released myself and replied. "Yes Babuji, I'm listening."

"How are things going with you and that man? I know it's a weird thing for a father to ask but-"

"No Babuji, I understand why you're asking."

I turned away from Arnav and looked out the window, while Payal, Akash, and Viren were going outside.

"And no Babuji," I continued. "Things aren't like before," I said as I turned around and looked at Arnav in the eye. "I don't think things can go back to the way they were. A lot of things were said, feelings have been hurt and exposed."

"Everything happened for the good sweetheart," Babuji said sadly, and he hung up.

I hung up, tucked my phone in my back pocket, still looking Arnav straight in the eye. As I began to walk out, I continued to look at him, the things he said to me in this very place replaying in my head. Once he got out of view I turned my head back around and walked away confidently.

My eyes swelled up with tears, but I held them back.

"There is no way I'm going to let him get to me," I said to myself and walked out.