57

Arnav and I stared blankly. We just couldn't believe it. Payal was shrieking, jumping up and down like a little girl who had just gotten a bunch of candy.

She grabbed my arm and she dragged me into my home.

"Sorry," she yelled to Arnav.

I shook my head. I can't believe she's doing this again, ditching him behind, but I couldn't do anything - my best friend just got proposed to!

We went up to my room, running fast, passing Amma and Babuji. We sat down on my bed and I looked at her ring. It was beautiful and it was so shiny! I was so proud of my best friend and I hugged her.

She told me how he had asked her and how it had all happened. I couldn't believe that Akash actually did all that. But I didn't care; all I cared about was my friend's happiness!

"What about your parents," I asked.

"They're really happy!"

"Well that's good, wouldn't want any problems. What about his parents?"

"His dad was completely fine with it, although his mother did react a bit."

"Nothing bad though, right?"

"No, she just cares about her son's happiness... and her looks, you know, social...."

"I see... but who cares! Now my best friend is about to get married!"

I hugged her again and then Amma and Babuji came in. They had heard the news from Payal's parents and congratulated her.

"Payal you are such a lucky girl," Amma said and then pointed at me. "I hope someday she can get your luck."

Really Amma? I frowned at her.

Payal smiled. "Don't you worry Auntyji," she said giving me a sly look. "One day it'll happen."

I gave Payal a warning look. Babuji cleared his throat and we looked at him from the corner of our eyes, him smiling. I shook my head. Babuji can be such a child sometimes.

I looked at him and smiled. I shook my head and looked out the window. In a matter of a few days, Payal's wedding would take place and she would go to a new home, become a part of a new family and become a whole other person.

What a thing life is.

~
Its a small one so 20 stars for the next one!